Various ?QMS? packages on the market - Which software package?

G

GaryBC

Various “QMS” packages on the market - Which software package?

Hi All

There are various “QMS” packages on the market (eg Q-Pulse, EtQ, EQMS, Intelex) and I want to put one into place here in my new firm.

I'm familiar with Q-Pulse and it is ok. But I'd like to find out how others stack against it (without subjecting myself to the glossy presentations where they will do their utmost to convince me theirs is the best!).

Is anyone aware of any comparisons that have been done? Or does anyone have any firm opinions one way or the other on any package?

Be good to hear some views!

Cheers,
Gaz

Colin

Quite Involved in Discussions
Re: Which software package?

First up, I am associated with Qualsys who produce EQMS as I have done work with them before.

If you are looking primarily for a document management system which is easy to deploy and effective, I think EQMS is excellent. Plus, they are a great bunch of people who will customise the system to your needs if required.

They are also always looking for ways of improving the product so you won't be stuck with something that is out of date.

C

canyon2010

Re: Which software package?

Have you looked at MasterControl?

G

Groo3

Re: Various “QMS” packages on the market - Which software package?

I believe this topic has come up on several older posts... you may want to run a search on QMS Software to review the older posts.

I am sure there are other good packages on the market, but I mainly have experience using QSi's System 9000 Automotive software for most of our site QMS needs (Document Control, raw material specifications, management review); a bit expensive, but easy to use. I also have a little experience with Documentum (a corporate standard for corporate document control) and SAP (a corporate standard for NCM).

G

GaryBC

Oh dear!!! I did as suggested and ran a search on QMS Software - OMG!!

I guess it was pretty much as I expected - as many opinions as packages! Now I know that each business is pretty much unique in it's specific requirements but I was rather hoping that there might have been some sort of trend - but there ain't!!

My firm is a UK based aerospace manufacturing company of 50-60 souls. We are currently AS9100 compliant but based largely on paper-based systems with the support of a couple of in-house written Access databases. The master procedures index is a hand-amended Word document; 'live' procedures are in a folder called "Live" and old ones in a "Dead" folder (up-revising a procedure entails renaming it and moving it manually between folders); authority for a document is a cut & pasted screenshot of a signature; related document lists are maintained via 'Tribal Knowledge' and Little Black Books.

CAPA, audits, training, calibration, authorisations etc are all dealt with in a similar fashion. Fat chance of ever getting EASA Part21 as it stands!

What I'm after is....
  • secure control over ALL documents (revision flows, online 'signatures', latest/archived version management, distribution, 'read & understood' capture, forced period review, etc).
  • Ability to hyperlink between referenced documents (eg, "See doc ref nnnn").
  • A repository of externally produced documents (eg vendor manuals).
  • Robust audit schedule management and CAPA control - linked to...
  • Supplier management.
  • Linkages to MS Office to generate e-mail alerts (both internal and external addresses).
  • Personnel records - eg training done/due/planned, competencies. authorisations (current and historic).
  • Asset control - eg calibration records.

My experience of Q-Pulse suggests it can do all of the above bar the hyperlinks and operator authorisations - hence my interest in other packages (the former is a nice to have but the latter is a firm requirement).

If anyone has any similar experience of how any of the major packages cope with this sort of environment it would be great to hear from you.

Other than that I guess it's down the glossy presentation route for me!

Cheers guys!
Gaz

D

danielrae

Gary, first off, I work for Gael who make Q-Pulse - thanks for the mention. :thanx:

If you have any specific questions about current or future capabilities of the solution, please let me know. I could put you in touch with someone who uses Q-Pulse in the same sector as you to give you a "real" opinion - we currently have many Aerospace customers. Let me know if I can help at all.

Meanwhile, I'd welcome other Cove users who use an eQMS system to share their opinions on the systems they use, particularly.

Good luck on your search!

P

Pamela221

Gary, Our company has just gone thru a process of evaluating some QMS software. I agree each company is unique and there is no one size fits all! One of the tools we used to get us started was Capterra (google their website) - you can browse by industry or application. Then choose up to 4 products for a side by side comparison of options/features. This helped us narrow down the many, many options out there to 4, then we requested demos which helped us narrow down to 2 options. We are currently doing a further evaluation of these 2 options. They are QT9 and uniPoint. Hope this helps.

G

GaryBC

Went onto the Capterra website, filled in the online form, replied to their follow-up e-mail with more info.........

That was last week. Any idea how long they'd normally take to come up with a shortlist for me?

P

Pamela221

Gary, I did not utilize their email services. Sorry for not being clear in my previous post. They also have on their website the ability to select your options (filters) and narrow down the field. Go the capterra site and use their search to look for quality management. The first hit is the quality management directory, select it. Down the left had side are a series of tick boxes and pull down menus to help you filter by the features you want (e.g., platform, software features, number of users, etc.). Once you have made your selections, hit filter now and on the right side of the page will display the software that meet your criteria. You can then scroll over them and read the description. As you move over them you will see a green box appear that says "add to compare". You can choose up to 4 at a time to compare. You will notice the green compare tab down the right hand side. Click on this compare tab and it will bring up a list of features for a side by side comparison. You can even toggle this list by alphabetical, common and different. I like the different sort feature. Hope this helps! Pamela

Q

QA Frankie

Gary,

I'm currently investigating a system by a company ION Quality Systems out of Temecula, California. They are at ionqualitysystems.com. Thier platform - Simpletrak - seems to support AS9100 as well as ISO 9001:2008 and others. One limitation is that the systems is not - and does not claim to be - and ERP system and does not directly support product realization programs. But for all other aspects of a QMS it seems to be sufficient. I'd be interested to hear more if others have experience with them.

Top Bottom