Shared responsibilities in Responsible Care 14001

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Leader
Admin
A question for my fellow Covers:

What is the extent of responsibility for the registered organization to 4.4.6 (h)
h) commensurate with risk, the organization shall have a process to work with as appropriate, review and assess customers, suppliers, contract manufacturers, carriers, distributors, contractors and third-party logistics providers based on Responsible Care or other health, safety, security and environmental performance criteria that have been established by the organization.
when the corporate office handles control of suppliers, including material handling? My understanding is that Responsible Care 14001 does not allow exclusions.

John Broomfield

Leader
Super Moderator
A question for my fellow Covers:

What is the extent of responsibility for the registered organization to 4.4.6 (h) when the corporate office handles control of suppliers, including material handling? My understanding is that Responsible Care 14001 does not allow exclusions.

Jennifer,

You are right.

Instead of excluding the requirement, I am sure you can include your corporate office's procedures for controlling suppliers and handling materials by referring to them in the documented part of your management system.

In effect you are outsourcing the control of suppliers. You may also refer to your corporate office's audits of these processes or audit them yourself.

If your suppliers are associated with significant health, safety, security or environmental impact then you may need to ask your corporate office to upgrade their controls. Best to invite their rep to the risk assessment so they can see the need for any additional controls for themselves instead of being told by you.

John

Randy

Super Moderator
No exclusions from anything (Are you doing an RC facility?)

R Daily - CPEA, RCMS, RC14001;)

Top Bottom