Product Characteristics vs. Process Characteristics in FMEA

Y

Yew Jin

Re: Product & process charactristics in FMEA

The objective for a product FMEA is to find out problems with the product that will result in safety hazards, malfunctions or shortened product life. It can be conducted at each phase in design or used on products that are already in production. (Focus on how can product fail)

The objective for process FMEA is to find out problems related to the manufacture or process of the product. Think in terms of 5 elements of a process: man, materials, methods, machines and environment. (Focus on how can process failure affect the product, processing efficiency or safety)

sushant_kulkarni

Involved In Discussions

The objective for a product FMEA is to find out problems with the product that will result in safety hazards, malfunctions or shortened product life. It can be conducted at each phase in design or used on products that are already in production. (Focus on how can product fail)

The objective for process FMEA is to find out problems related to the manufacture or process of the product. Think in terms of 5 elements of a process: man, materials, methods, machines and environment. (Focus on how can process failure affect the product, processing efficiency or safety)

Might be u are not understood the problem.

1) All u told me that i knew it well.

2) In process FMEA there are two colums Process charactristics as well as

Product charactristics.

For each indivisual product we have to diffenciate Product & process

charactristics.

3) I need to know is there any particular point from with we can say that its

process or product charactristics.

4) If it is not the thing like that,How can i differ between product

charactristics & Process charactristics ?

Stijloor

Leader
Super Moderator

In process FMEA there are two colums Process characteristics as well as Product characteristics.
For each individual product we have to diffenciate Product & process characteristics.

Sushant,

You ask a number of questions. But before my Fellow Covers and/or I respond and just to make sure: what process FMEA document or manual are you referring to? You mention "two columns." Please clarify what you mean. The AIAG FMEA manual perhaps? What page?

Stijloor.

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
Re: Product Characteristics vs. Process Charactristics in FMEA

Can anybody give me a simple way of diff. betw. Product & Process

charactristics in FMEA? COFUSED?????????????????

There are two such columns on the AIAG control plan form, but not on the FMEA form. A product characteristic is a feature of the product that must be controlled, such as a dimension, a color, or contamination. Each product characteristic should have at least one process characteristic that is associated with it. The process characteristic is the feature or element of the process that affects or controls the product characteristic in question. For example, a product characteristic might be a drilled/bored hole of a certain size and location, and the associated process characteristics might be proper drill size, drill sharpness, and the method used to locate the hole in the machine.

The goal should be to identify, optimize and control the process characteristics so as to avoid having to inspect product characteristics. That's what process control is all about.

M

mam

Re: Product Characteristics vs. Process Charactristics in FMEA

The failure Mode is on the Product.
The failure Cause is on the Process.

This failure mode (of the product)
could result in this Effect
due to this cause (in the process).

Top Bottom