Shanghai here we come...

I

IEGeek - 2006

So I have not been on here in about 1,000 years, but I am back and ready to go at it again. But not for long....

I am being officially transferred to Shanghai. We have 4 JVs there and I am heading up the Quality at all of them. They are in Nantong, Ningbo, Yin Lun.

The strange part is that I actually convinced the better half to make the move with me as well. Her first response was "Are you freakin' kidding me, you are nuts" then after some discussion, some make up (ahem - insert your imagination here) and more research, everyone is on board. The better half is excited, the kids are overflowing with excitement and I am just glad they are glad.

Anyway...anyone ever been there? I mean longer than a visit? We have found a home already and found a school (I think) but there are so many questions and so little time. We all go over in December for a visit for 7 days then we are officially moving in June. Ay yi yi. It is right around the corner.

Anywhooooo...just looking for comments, tips, suggestions etc.

Thanks a million

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit
So I have not been on here in about 1,000 years, but I am back and ready to go at it again. But not for long....

I am being officially transferred to Shanghai. We have 4 JVs there and I am heading up the Quality at all of them. They are in Nantong, Ningbo, Yin Lun.

The strange part is that I actually convinced the better half to make the move with me as well. Her first response was "Are you freakin' kidding me, you are nuts" then after some discussion, some make up (ahem - insert your imagination here) and more research, everyone is on board. The better half is excited, the kids are overflowing with excitement and I am just glad they are glad.

Anyway...anyone ever been there? I mean longer than a visit? We have found a home already and found a school (I think) but there are so many questions and so little time. We all go over in December for a visit for 7 days then we are officially moving in June. Ay yi yi. It is right around the corner.

Anywhooooo...just looking for comments, tips, suggestions etc.

Thanks a million
Do you still have 52' Tiara? Want me to take care of it while you are gone?;)

I

IEGeek - 2006

I do still have my little baby. However, I am being told (by several sources) to take it with me. I am waiting on a quote to ship it over there. His initial shoot from the hip response was upwards of $30,000 plus insurance. OUCH!!

C

Craig H.

I do still have my little baby. However, I am being told (by several sources) to take it with me. I am waiting on a quote to ship it over there. His initial shoot from the hip response was upwards of $30,000 plus insurance. OUCH!!

Good to see you back!

This may be a stupid question, but is cruising it over there an option? Does it have enough range?

I

IEGeek - 2006

No. There is not anywhere near the range even close to necessary to make a trip like that. Not a stupid question at all.

It would have to be shipped.

On a funny note -- the better half is not at all worried about it getting over there. She is more concerned about being able to buy conditioner and tampons and kid's schools and house stuff. She is literally laughing right now because we are so guys and worry about the stupidest things (her words, not mine).:biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh:

C

Craig H.

No. There is not anywhere near the range even close to necessary to make a trip like that. Not a stupid question at all.

It would have to be shipped.

On a funny note -- the better half is not at all worried about it getting over there. She is more concerned about being able to buy conditioner and tampons and kid's schools and house stuff. She is literally laughing right now because we are so guys and worry about the stupidest things (her words, not mine).:biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh:

On a very unfunny note. What about fishing tackle, and beer, and bourbon, and football, and, and.... ?

I

IEGeek - 2006

There is beer, oh let me tell you there is beer. Fishing tackle might be hard to come by, but I am not sure as I did not check that out so much on last visit.

We are actually going to be living in a total ex-pat community complete with a Krispy Kreme and a McDonalds so....

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit
Consider doubling that sum and getting it rigged with armament to hold off some of the pirates cruising the South China Sea. Oh yeah! I almost forgot - add a squad of Marines!

Randy

Super Moderator
Are you serious? Man, you have expanded your horizons haven't you?

Indulge yourself with the Chinese culture as much as you can, play by their rules and have a good time.

Oh yeah, Chinese beer...GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!

I

IEGeek - 2006

I am now officially not taking the boat. Insurance won't cover it there and if they were to cover it (which is a contradiction in my opinion) :frust: the rate would be so high and the coverage so low that it is not worth it. So do we have a "Boat for Sale" thread in this forum? - Owner must sell cheap, moving to the other side of the world:( :(

On a side note -- Randy -- It has been a long strange trip. I have expanded so much that I think my horizons are now touching. :biglaugh: I have been back and forth to Shanghai several times over the past year and I love that city, the people and the little things that go with it. It will be interesting as I have stayed in serviced apartments on my little jaunts -- now we are going to be moving into an actual house in an ex-pat community, kids are going to attend either SAS or SCIS for school (both American accredited) and the job -- the job, well what to say with that....

If anyone of you can get a Chinese ops manager to say no, please let me know how you did it. I also need to figure out how to tell them that an 8D or an ICAR is not a personal affront to their manhood. It is certainly challenging and rewarding. However, I have never met a plant culture that is so receptive to making improvements and increasing the level of quality by doing whatever it takes to get the job done and then ask very politely - "Thank you sir, may I have another?"

Our stint is slated for 20 months as of today and I know we are going to exploit every opportunity while there as a family, and I am going to take every opportunity to increase my skill level and depth of knowledge professionally.

Top Bottom