Process Centered vs. Functional organization - Transitioning an Organization

S

SailorWard

I'm not sure if this is right place to ask this, or not, or if it's been discussed elsewhere/elsewhen.

We're trying to lead our organization out of the traditional organizational structure based on functional silos into a process centered structure based on the processes that are used to actually get the job done. Most of the processes are cross functional and, therefore, we're getting a lot of resistance from managers who consider their "function" to be their "domain."

The basis of the processes, as we've defined them, is the ISO 9001-2000 standard--taken with a grain of salt and applied to our situation. Which is why I'm asking this under the ISO 9001 topic!

I'm looking for examples of companies that have moved from functional silos to a process centered organization. Real life examples from other companies may take some of the sting out of considering the change. The examples I'm really looking for are from companies that:

1. Lived to tell about it.
2. Are willing to talk about (and, preferrably, published) their experience.
3. Have seen improved business results (at least in part) as a result of the change and can describe the improved results.

My organization is ISO 9001-2000 registered and tried to start the migration to process centered a couple years ago. We didn't get very far on that attempt and have since undergone some significant management changes that are basically requiring us to start the migration over again. Assuming, of course, that the new management buys into the change.

Thanks for your help! I could do some original research to root out companies that meet my needs, but if I can short circuit the research and tap the knowledge of someone who's already done it, well, let's just say I'm not into reinventing the wheel unless I really need to! :)

Paul Simpson

Trusted Information Resource
Right place - right question

SailorWard welcome to the cove. You will enjoy it here - at least I hope so. I will leave it to others more proficient in search than I to help with information. There has been a lot of debate about process based systems but little agreement. I hope you get some good response. I For one can't wait.

For my part as a quality manager and consultant I have unsuccessfully tried to get organizations to think "process based" and as an auditor I have seen a lot of 9k2k systems and not one I would call process based.

I prefer to think it's not me. :lol:

Caster

An Early Cover
Trusted Information Resource
TRW Autotmotive

SailorWard said:
I'm looking for examples of companies that have moved from functional silos to a process centered organization. Real life examples from other companies may take some of the sting out of considering the change. The examples I'm really looking for are from companies that: :)

SaliorWard

Here is how TRW did it. This may be a members only link from AIAG, if you can't see it, let me know.

http://mows.aiag.org/scriptcontent/at05sessions/FULL/session_display.cfm?section=atsessions&spsession=QL02_final.pdf

I have seen this preesntation several times at various events. They seem to evangalize on this.

I am sure TRW would be delighted to help you by providing materials and information.

Good luck - sometimes silos have serious weapons hidden in them, a body could get hurt trying to knock down a silo.

Helmut Jilling

Auditor / Consultant
SailorWard said:
I'm not sure if this is right place to ask this, or not, or if it's been discussed elsewhere/elsewhen.

We're trying to lead our organization out of the traditional organizational structure based on functional silos into a process centered structure based on the processes that are used to actually get the job done. Most of the processes are cross functional and, therefore, we're getting a lot of resistance from managers who consider their "function" to be their "domain."

The basis of the processes, as we've defined them, is the ISO 9001-2000 standard--taken with a grain of salt and applied to our situation. Which is why I'm asking this under the ISO 9001 topic!

I'm looking for examples of companies that have moved from functional silos to a process centered organization. Real life examples from other companies may take some of the sting out of considering the change. The examples I'm really looking for are from companies that:

1. Lived to tell about it.
2. Are willing to talk about (and, preferrably, published) their experience.
3. Have seen improved business results (at least in part) as a result of the change and can describe the improved results.

My organization is ISO 9001-2000 registered and tried to start the migration to process centered a couple years ago. We didn't get very far on that attempt and have since undergone some significant management changes that are basically requiring us to start the migration over again. Assuming, of course, that the new management buys into the change.

Thanks for your help! I could do some original research to root out companies that meet my needs, but if I can short circuit the research and tap the knowledge of someone who's already done it, well, let's just say I'm not into reinventing the wheel unless I really need to! :)

Perhaps this worksheet will help. It is based on the Turtle, but rolled up into a format most managers can get into pretty easily. Hope the attachments work correctly.

Attachments

• Process Criteria Map Worksheet - HJ.xls
    62.5 KB · Views: 571
  • Turtle Template.doc
    24.5 KB · Views: 969
S

SailorWard

Thanks for the inputs, folks! The links all opened flawlessly. I'm not into VooDoo Computerism :magic: but that still has to be a good sign! :lol:

From the TRW presentation the graphic showing the functional silos with process overlays is exactly what I was trying to describe to one of our managers earlier this week. I was trying to do it on a white board while working off the cuff or "thinking with a pen"--the graphics from TRW are MUCH better than what I scribbled!

Thanks again!

Statistical Steven

Statistician
Leader
Super Moderator
Help me....How is a Turtle diagram different than a cause and effect? Looks like you have the same 5Ms...where did I miss the boat?

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
Statistical Steven said:
Help me....How is a Turtle diagram different than a cause and effect? Looks like you have the same 5Ms...where did I miss the boat?
There is no functional difference. You didn't miss a boat, you just didn't jump on the bandwagon :D .

Helmut Jilling

Auditor / Consultant
JSW05 said:
There is no functional difference. You didn't miss a boat, you just didn't jump on the bandwagon :D .

The turtle diagram is functionally similar. However, if you look at the example I posted, I added some things. This was just a leadup to matrix. You originally asked about the process approach. The matrix I posted is a tool that has helped many clients better understand how to implement a process approach into their systems.

Please don't get hung up on the turtle. That is just an entry point for more novice readers to see thepicture, The important concept is to understand how to work thru the steps in Cl 4.1, in ISO 9001 and TS. That is what the matrix attempts to do.

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
hjilling said:
The turtle diagram is functionally similar. However, if you look at the example I posted, I added some things. This was just a leadup to matrix. You originally asked about the process approach. The matrix I posted is a tool that has helped many clients better understand how to implement a process approach into their systems.

Please don't get hung up on the turtle. That is just an entry point for more novice readers to see thepicture, The important concept is to understand how to work thru the steps in Cl 4.1, in ISO 9001 and TS. That is what the matrix attempts to do.
Mt facetious remark, in response to Steven's incredulous question, was the result of my continuing surprise at tried-and-true concepts being repackaged, overcomplicated, and offered as new ideas.

Statistical Steven

Statistician
Leader
Super Moderator
JSW05 said:
Mt facetious remark, in response to Steven's incredulous question, was the result of my continuing surprise at tried-and-true concepts being repackaged, overcomplicated, and offered as new ideas.
Why was my question so incredulous? I could not see a functional difference between the old quality tools and this one. I was not trying to be sarcastic or smug, I am just surprised myself at the new tools that show up.

Top Bottom