20 days to submit PPAP

L

lk2012

hi folks,
I need your help to get my head around this requirement that seems to come up everywhere.

I work for a Tier2 Automotive supplier and we usually get asked to submit our PPAP packages (no matter which level) within 20 days.

I've looked in the AIAG manual for PPAP and can't seem to find anywhere in it where it says that it's got to be done within the 20 days. Could you please help me clarify where this time scale originated from?

Really appreciate your help.
Lil

Stijloor

Leader
Super Moderator
hi folks,
I need your help to get my head around this requirement that seems to come up everywhere.

I work for a Tier2 Automotive supplier and we usually get asked to submit our PPAP packages (no matter which level) within 20 days.

I've looked in the AIAG manual for PPAP and can't seem to find anywhere in it where it says that it's got to be done within the 20 days. Could you please help me clarify where this time scale originated from?

Really appreciate your help.
Lil

Golfman25 is correct, but you can negotiate this with your customer. 20 Days seems like a default (lazy customer) requirement.

L

lk2012

Thanks guys.:thanx:
Most of our customers usually say 'asap' so 20 days sounds like a luxury compared to that.
Is there a specified time anywhere in the AIAG manual? I've only found 15 days for engineering change.

thanks!

D

db

TS does specify ASAP, not to exceed 2 working weeks for review of engineering changes (4.2.3.1), which is not the same thing, but could be where some companies get the timeframe.

Johnnymo62

Haste Makes Waste
I've never been asked to do a PPAP in this short of a time. I usually have 12 weeks or more. Is your sales and engineering group getting you in the loop soon enough?

L

lk2012

Our Tier 1's are usually asking for the documentation 'asap' or 'immediately'. Sometimes it's a struggle to get the 20 days past them.
I work at the Sales / Projects location (not production) so should really be right there when it happens. Maybe some customers have unrealistic expectations...

Miner

Forum Moderator
Leader
Admin
Timing should be commensurate with the complexity of the product and the design effort involved, new technology/processes, etc.

Emmyd

Involved In Discussions
I also work at a Tier 2 Automotive supplier. Our PPAP dates usually come from the PO that we receive from our customer. Sometimes we negotiate these dates, sometimes not. I'm with one of the other posters - 20 days would be a luxury. We have had to unload dies from a truck, set up, run parts and submit layout within a day or so. Our biggest benefit has been keeping in close contact with our customers, so if any issues do arise, we can work together.:2cents:

iceplanet

Registered
If you are given 20 days you should consider yourself fortunate. Most of my customers require the PPAP to be sent with the part shipment. I have one who requires it a week before and the parts can ship only after the PPAP is approved.

Top Bottom