Quality Auditor Certification - CQA

B

buyer-in-ma

Mo goal, to become a certified as a Quality Auditor (CQA) with ASQ.
I hoping someone has recently done so and can share their knowledge such that enables to me focus me studies in a successful manor
About me?
\
10+ Years GMP/GLP (R&D and Manufacturing, Clean Room Environments)
10+ Years Quality Systems (ISO, FDA, Military Specifications,
10+ Year Documentation (Standard Operating Procedures, Author and/or Revise)
8 Years Technical Writing (Process Flow, Job Aid’s, Operational Instruction)
8+ Years Records Management (Determine Life Cycle, Destruction Plan, Vendor Compliance)
8+ Years Process Mapping / Job Aid Creation (Visio, Corel, 3rd Party)
7 Years Engineering Change (BOM, Batch Records, Raw Materials..)
6+ Years AutoCAD / Solidworks
6 Years Research and Development Support
4 Years Equipment Changeover (GMP/GLP Equipment)

D

Duke Okes

- Have you looked at the CQA body of knowledge (BOK) to see how well you know it?
- Have you identified study materials and/or courses to help you prepare for the exam?
- Do you have a study/preparation plan?
- What specific questions do you have?

H

Howard Lee

The CQA is a pretty easy test, I did it this spring. As previously stated, get a copy of the BOK. Also, get your references together and take a few sample tests to see where you need to prepare the most. There are several sources for sample tests commercially available at a reasonable cost (Google will be your friend for a search).

Howard; CQT, CQE, CQA

B

Boscoeee

I hoping someone has recently done so and can share their knowledge such that enables to me focus me studies in a successful manor
About me?
\
8+ Years Records Management (Determine Life Cycle, Destruction Plan, Vendor Compliance)

Have you applied for the exam yet? I have successfully taken the exam twice, having allowed my first certification to lapse and passed both times. I did not find the exam very difficult, however the BOK of knowledge and the terminology is important to know. I recommend CD and Primer from Quality Council of Indiana as study material, its comprehensive and helps you structure your preparation time.

Good Luck in your efforts.

I am in not associated with Quality Council of Indiana!

J

Jeff Frost

About me?
\

The one thing I see missing from your list is auditing experience. Take a Certified Quality Auditor course from your local ASQ Section or buy BOK materials that are based on the ASQ CQA certification requirements. This will give you the background on how ASQ views the audit process and how it should be performed.

Also remember that this is ASQ examination so the correct answer to any examination question is always what ASQ say it is no matter how much you may disagree with it.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Duke Okes

Getting a copy of the auditing standard 19011 would also be wise.

C

CertifiedDataJunkie

Also remember that this is ASQ examination so the correct answer to any examination question is always what ASQ say it is no matter how much you may disagree with it.

:topic: It sounds like you may have issues with the ASQ exam development process.

Certainly, candidates need to become familiar with the exam format to be successful. However, the opportunity to provide feedback back to ASQ regarding questions is provided to each exam participant. Also, exam questions and answers are based upon the references associated with the Body of Knowledge, so the source of information is not a secret. In this case, the ASQ Auditing Handbook is a comprehensive resource.

While participants are asked to select the "best" answer, a rigorous process of review by a committee of subject matter experts is used to ensure that only one answer can be "keyable" using the reference list. New questions are reviewed several times before being compiled into an exam ready for a particular date.

:2cents: Self-study takes tremendous discipline to stay on track to achieve your goals. If time is limited and you already have a sufficient base of expertise, refresher courses can be an efficient method of test preparation that avoids maintaining a personal schedule. So, it can be helpful to consider the CQA Refresher Course:

CERTIFIED QUALITY AUDITOR EXAM REFRESHER Presented by the ASQ Audit Division The Audit Division’s CQA Exam Refresher is being presented October 14th and 15th, 2008 just prior to the 17th Annual Audit Division Conference in Augusta, GA and just 4 days before the certification examination on Saturday October 18th, 2008 The purpose of this 2-day course is to help experienced auditors become better prepared for the CQA examination. Class discussion will include an overview of the exam process and a thorough review of the complete CQA body of knowledge (BOK), as it pertains to the exam. This will offer all participants a better understanding of the basic principles and applications that will appear on the examination. The basis for the exam is the CQA Body of Knowledge (BOK), and the course text, The ASQ Auditing Handbook, Third Edition, which will be given to all course participants. Topics Covered: Auditing Fundamentals, Audit Process, Auditor Competencies, Audit Program and Business Applications, Quality Tools and Techniques. Instructors: Your instructors include American Society for Quality CQAs, such as John Mascaro, Nancy Boudreau, Janet Book and Ruby Ivens. TIME: 8:00AM – 5:00PM Tuesday and Wednesday CEUs: 1.5 FEE: $695For more information or to register go to http://www.asq.org/courses/cqa-refresher.html

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
:topic: It sounds like you may have issues with the ASQ exam development process.

Certainly, candidates need to become familiar with the exam format to be successful. However, the opportunity to provide feedback back to ASQ regarding questions is provided to each exam participant. Also, exam questions and answers are based upon the references associated with the Body of Knowledge, so the source of information is not a secret. In this case, the ASQ Auditing Handbook is a comprehensive resource.

While participants are asked to select the "best" answer, a rigorous process of review by a committee of subject matter experts is used to ensure that only one answer can be "keyable" using the reference list. New questions are reviewed several times before being compiled into an exam ready for a particular date.

Why should "...candidates need to become familiar with the exam format to be successful" if there's nothing wrong with the exam? By the time anyone takes an ASQ exam (at least in the US), they've taken standardized tests many times.

It's an undeniable fact that many questions have more than one answer that can be logically and conscientiously defended--there's more than one "correct" answer. Thus exam-takers are left with trying to figure out what the people who developed the test might think is the best answer, which is no way to design an exam.

Stijloor

Leader
Super Moderator

:2cents: Self-study takes tremendous discipline to stay on track to achieve your goals. If time is limited and you already have a sufficient base of expertise, refresher courses can be an efficient method of test preparation that avoids maintaining a personal schedule. So, it can be helpful to consider the CQA Refresher Course:

With all due respect, I still have difficulty understanding how Auditor Competence can be determined by a written test.

Knowing book answers (BOK) does not provide evidence of how the auditor performs during an actual audit.

Stijloor.

C

CertifiedDataJunkie

With all due respect, I still have difficulty understanding how Auditor Competence can be determined by a written test.

Knowing book answers (BOK) does not provide evidence of how the auditor performs during an actual audit.

Stijloor.

That's nice, but I don't understand how your comments are relevant to the discussion in my post. This thread is concerned with someone who has identified value in attaining certification as a CQA and wants to know how to achieve it. Whether you question the evaluation method remains a further off-topic point to others in this thread.

To apply for the CQA exam, one is supposed to have experience within the Body of Knowledge. This claim is dependent upon the integrity of the person who is making application. I often see folks who are interested in attaining the Certified Six Sigma Black Belt (CSSBB) certification who have never filled this role as well. I suppose this could also happen with the CQA.

Top Bottom