Is there an OSHA Safety Accreditation?

G

Gmzita

I am an ISO 17025 QA Manager. I have just been asked to assume the additional responsibilities of Safety Manager starting in January 2014. So I am spending the rest of December cramming in every possible OSHA Webinar I can find :)popcorn:) and interviewing possible Vendors for Software to assist with OSHA requirements and HAZCOM.

Yesterday while discussing a possible Vendor with my soon to be new Manager - who is also new to the USA via the UK, he asked if there is an Accreditation available for OSHA General Safety. I told him that so far I had not come across anything like that but then I thought - maybe other Covers may know.

Does anyone know if there is such a body in the USA for OSHA General Safety?

Any help would be appreciated.

G

Gmzita

Re: OSHA Safety Accreditation??

Thanks Randy.

I am on the OSHA website and found the information page/s regarding the Program. However, I cannot seem to determine if there is an application cost. Do you know or should I just make a call?

D

db

Also, don't forget that your state might have its own OSHA department. In Michigan, MIOSHA is the main force. I think the following link might be beneficial, since you appear to be in PA.

http ://www .portal .state .pa. us/portal/server.pt/community/occupational_and_industrial_safety/10509 - DEAD LINK UNLINKED (404)

Last edited by a moderator:

Steve Prevette

Deming Disciple
Leader
Super Moderator
Re: OSHA Safety Accreditation??

Yep...The OSHA VPP program only offered by US OSHA

I do not believe there is an application cost, though there are indirect costs in terms of letting in the VPP review team, and once you are "STAR" status you are expected to suppport others' VPP reviews.

Best thing to do is contact your local VPPPA region (https://www.vpppa.org/). I am sure they will be able to introduce you to a local company who is STAR who can show you the ropes.

Hershal

Metrologist-Auditor
Trusted Information Resource
I am an ISO 17025 QA Manager. I have just been asked to assume the additional responsibilities of Safety Manager starting in January 2014. So I am spending the rest of December cramming in every possible OSHA Webinar I can find :)popcorn:) and interviewing possible Vendors for Software to assist with OSHA requirements and HAZCOM.

Yesterday while discussing a possible Vendor with my soon to be new Manager - who is also new to the USA via the UK, he asked if there is an Accreditation available for OSHA General Safety. I told him that so far I had not come across anything like that but then I thought - maybe other Covers may know.

Does anyone know if there is such a body in the USA for OSHA General Safety?

Any help would be appreciated.

No, there is not. OSHA does audit (either Fed OSHA or a State OSHA) when they can and/or have a need. That usually depends on industry and resources available. However, they do not provide an accreditation.

There is a lower level Registration available for safety, I believe it is ISO 18001.

G

Gmzita

Thanks for all the replies.:thanx:
I feel like a fish out of water taking this on! What was I thinking??? :mg:

I did contact our Mid-Atlantic OSHA office and have started taking a series of Webinar classes to try and bring me up to speed. I also contracted an outside Safety Company to come in and start some facility training for our employees (and me).

It looks like I will have a very interesting next 12 - 24 months ahead of me.

I hope you don't mind if I pester you along the way with additional questions as they pop up!

Thanks again and a Merry Christmas ~ Joyful Holiday Season to you all!

Steve Prevette

Deming Disciple
Leader
Super Moderator
I do officially work in the safety department for my employer, although I get to touch a lot of other data issues. There is a lot of commonality of thinking (or at least there should be) between quality and safety. Of course, folks who don't know me keep wondering why an ASQ CQE & Fellow is not working in the quality department . . .

G

Gmzita

Steve -

I think that is why they approached me on this. Anything that arrives in "government speak" usually ends up on my desk. I am the "unofficial" Security Admin due to all the Homeland Security Custom Programs. And just how did that happen ...Vice President of Mfg calls me into his office in 2003 (I was suspicious from the start!) and hands me 2 inch thick packet and says - "You know what all this government junk is - read this and make me a security program." And so it continues ....

Sometimes I ask myself - Why was it you decided that 18 hour days six days a week in Food Service wasn't a good career? :lol:

Oh ... and you might be sorry you let me know what your true position is ... you may get tired of me hounding you!

Steve Prevette

Deming Disciple
Leader
Super Moderator
Oh ... and you might be sorry you let me know what your true position is ... you may get tired of me hounding you!

No problem, here to help!

You may want to take a look at some of the materials I have at http ://www. efcog .org/wg/esh_es/Statistical_Process_Control/ - DEAD LINK UNLINKED (404). That includes a link to a Deming Red Bead experiment video with a safety slant. The audio has gotten out of synch, but I do have a clean electronic copy I could get to you if you want it.

I've dealt with VPP STAR (the Dept of Energy analog version) at Hanford, Savannah River Site, and Fluor Government Group.

You may like my most recent article ->http ://www .workplacemagazine. com/Ezine/FullStory.aspx?EzineDataID=2136 - DEAD LINK UNLINKED (404)

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom