Future as an AS9100/NADCAP Auditor

A

abnerfurmond

Hello, all! I am new to the forum, but I have been working for an AS9100/NADCAP approved supplier for the last seven years. I am the floor supervisor, and while I do not have a bad job, I have decided this is just not what I want to do for the rest of my life. I perform monthly internal audits, and I enjoy that portion of my job. I am enrolling in college, and during this time I would like to start working toward a career as a contracted auditor. I just don't know where to start, and I do not feel it would be appropriate to ask anyone I work with. Is there anyone in this forum that could tell me where to begin or what to do over the next several years to start shaping my career?
Any help would be most appreciated.
Thank you for your time,
Abner

Last edited by a moderator:

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Leader
Admin
Re: Future as an auditor

Welcome to the Cove!

This question has been aired increasingly lately. Have you seen the threads linked at the bottom of the page? One or more of them might provide you with the insights you are looking for.

I can vouch that AS9100 auditors are in demand, much more so than 9001 auditors. I can also vouch that in order to be considered I needed to have passed an accredited lead auditor course, and that having a degree made a big difference. I can also offer that CB auditing is a lot more nerve wracking and demanding than internal auditing; that no doubt won't surprise you.

I hope this helps!

AndyN

Moved On

Jennifer has offered some short and accurate comments. I'd add that the closest thing to being a CB auditor as a springboard to that career, is performing supply chain audits. Doing internal audits is, for the most part, very narrow focus. You know the people, they know you. Doing external audits is entirely different.

dsanabria

Quite Involved in Discussions

Hello, all! I am new to the forum, but I have been working for an AS9100/NADCAP approved supplier for the last seven years. I am the floor supervisor, and while I do not have a bad job, I have decided this is just not what I want to do for the rest of my life. I perform monthly internal audits, and I enjoy that portion of my job. I am enrolling in college, and during this time I would like to start working toward a career as a contracted auditor. I just don't know where to start, and I do not feel it would be appropriate to ask anyone I work with. Is there anyone in this forum that could tell me where to begin or what to do over the next several years to start shaping my career?
Any help would be most appreciated.
Thank you for your time,
Abner

Start here...

http://www.exemplarglobal.org/personnel-certification/aerospace-auditors/as9100-aerospace-auditor/

In short, auditors must renew credentials periodically (pay yearly dues and submit documentation every 3 years.)

The hardest part of the process is getting to do the 2nd party audits... but, there are ways

Top Bottom