ASQ Certifications outside North America

Govind

Super Moderator
Leader
Super Moderator
ASQ Certifications are called in “requirements” for various Quality job positions in the United States of America and Canada. Many employers cover the cost of training and certification.I have hardly ever seen a European organization advertisement or Asian organization advertisement asking for ASQ certifications. Nevertheless, many international candidates take ASQ exams.

Are the employers outside the USA and Canada aware of ASQ certifications? Do they reimburse the training and certification cost? (For many, it is very expensive in local currency to do ASQ Certifications if not supported by their organization).

What is the “driver” for those who pursue ASQ Certification outside the USA and Canada?

Thanks,
Govind.

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit
Interesting question, Govind.

At first blush, I imagined non Americans (make that non-North Americans) sought ASQ certifications for only two reasons:
  1. They worked for American companies or companies that sold to American companies
  2. They planned to move to America to work
I'd be interested in hearing how many sought and paid for the designation versus just studying the Body of Knowledge for each certification and why they did so.

Manoj Mathur

Quite Involved in Discussions
ASQ Cerification for Non US and Canadaian Candidates

I am an Indian. Yet, I want to appear and clear ASQ's CQA and CQM. Why?
I feel this is an International Accreditation which shall motivate me to learn more and more about the subject. I shall get respect from peer and colleague. Jobs in India do not demand (Not even Recogonise) ASQ's Certifications. And lastly I do not approve Mr. Wes's opinion regarding ASQ's Certification that it is sought primarily for TWO mentioned reasons.
" two reasons:
1. They worked for American companies or companies that sold to American companies
2. They planned to move to America to work"

Because ASQ's certification is considered as a Catalytic agent. It can accelerate the growth but it can not start the reaction (I mean helpful for getting the job).

Manoj

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit
Manoj Mathur said:
I am an Indian. Yet, I want to appear and clear ASQ's CQA and CQM. Why?
I feel this is an International Accreditation which shall motivate me to learn more and more about the subject. I shall get respect from peer and colleague. Jobs in India do not demand (Not even Recogonise) ASQ's Certifications. And lastly I do not approve Mr. Wes's opinion regarding ASQ's Certification that it is sought primarily for TWO mentioned reasons.
" two reasons:
2. They planned to move to America to work"

Because ASQ's certification is considered as a Catalytic agent. It can accelerate the growth but it can not start the reaction (I mean helpful for getting the job).

Manoj
OK - I see the problem with regional differences in language. My use of the idiom [At first blush, I imagined] in my statement
"At first blush, I imagined non Americans (make that non-North Americans) sought ASQ certifications for only two reasons:"
was not understood to mean:
"I have been guilty of a snap judgment in believing . . ."

in which I enforced my desire to learn the REAL reasons folks who did NOT fall into those categories I listed by asking:
"I'd be interested in hearing how many sought and paid for the designation versus just studying the Body of Knowledge for each certification and why they did so."

Manoj has given part of his reason, but omitted to say why he sought and paid for certification instead of just studying and learning the Body of Knowledge for each of the certifications he holds (I am aware Manoj holds one or more certifications from ASQ.)

C

Craig H.

Wes, when I started working toward the CQE, I did so because I wanted to "round out" what I had picked up otherwise.

That done, let me ask why not take the test and get the cert, if that BoK has been chosen as a learning path? Why not take the exam to see if anything has been learned, if for no other reason?

As an added bonus, the 3 year recertification requirement is just another incentive (though not a good one, IMO) to keep learning.

Hmmm, wonder if I could get some points for Cove time?

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit
Craig H. said:
Wes, when I started working toward the CQE, I did so because I wanted to "round out" what I had picked up otherwise.

That done, let me ask why not take the test and get the cert, if that BoK has been chosen as a learning path? Why not take the exam to see if anything has been learned, if for no other reason?

As an added bonus, the 3 year recertification requirement is just another incentive (though not a good one, IMO) to keep learning.

Hmmm, wonder if I could get some points for Cove time?
When you write "Why not take the exam to see if anything has been learned, if for no other reason?"
My response is, "What did you learn about your comprehension from taking a paid test [to get the certification] versus the free ones included in the BOK?"

I get recert points just for sitting quietly at ASQ Section meetings, whether I learn anything pertinent to a specific certification or not. What value is that to any certification I hold?

Understand, I am not decrying certification per se, only that many folks can be successful practitioners without being certified.

Here is a copy of an email I received this morning. Note the prices cited. Also add in the cost of food and lodging for the "resident portion" of the course. If I were young and starting my career in Quality, I'd consider "investing" in taking this course to achieve an SSBB designation, (yes, I realize you still need a "project" - but many have recast old projects in SS language to qualify) leading ultimately to an MBB, in the same way I would consider going to a leading university for an MBA versus an MBA from John Doe University in Palookaville. The simple fact is, from an awareness standpoint in an executive suite, a degree or designation from the more prestigious outfit carries greater weight in an employment decision. Like it or not, ASQ still has prestige akin to a major university in terms of certified designations.
ASQ Offers NEW Design for Six Sigma Training

ASQ's Design for Six Sigma (DFSS) course provides the framework, tools, and processes to provide the student and his/her organization with a proven, superior approach to developing a new product and associated processes from inception to production sign off.

What's new about our DFSS course?
It's delivered using three online Web seminars (Webinars) which create a foundation for understanding the fundamental concepts of DFSS and prepares participants for the one week of face-to-face intensive classroom training on November 1-5, 2004 in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. The first two Webinars will be available for on-demand viewing after September 1, 2004. The third Webinar, which will focus on project selection, will be live and instructor-led on October 13, 2004, at 12 noon ET. Participants will also have access to a Web site where they can access references, Web links, and interact with other participants and the instructor before and after the classroom training occurs.

Who Should Attend
This course will be valuable to anyone who has responsibilities to develop new products and processes and "belted" Six Sigma practitioners will find a host of DFSS skills to complement their existing knowledge.

Course Fee
ASQ Members $1595 / Nonmembers $1695

Click here to learn more about this course or register today to enhance your Six Sigma body of knowledge!

Govind

Super Moderator
Leader
Super Moderator
To answer Carig’s question:
“That done, let me ask why not take the test and get the cert, if that BoK has been chosen as a learning path? Why not take the exam to see if anything has been learned, if for no other reason?”

The answer is affordability. The certification fee is a big amount in local currency. Also don't forget the cost of reading material in US$.

There are many international candidates taking ASQ Exams. I use to browse the certification lists in the member page. I have seen many CREs from Korea, Sinagapore,Many CSSBB, from India, Many other certifications from Israel, China and the Philippines. This is just the pass list. Multiply twice this number to approximately know how many sat for the exam. I think the ASQ certifications are gradually picking up outside North America. Couple of reasons identified by Wes also seem logical to me.

If the employer is not supporting or unaware of the ASQ Certifications,
I guess many international candidates who can afford, prepare for this exam to improve their knowledge in Quality& Reliability Engineering and obtain recognition from the local Quality Community.

Regards,
Govind.

A

Arvind

ASQ outside north america

Let me add few more points.
1) Job security outside north america is higher- North america is highly competitive and the chances of losing job ( even though you may be very good at what you do ) are relatively high. This reduces only motivated people outside north america to purse ASQ
2) Adverse local currency rate may be prohibitive- Membership fees, exam fees, books and cost of recertification when you convert to local currency may become few months salary which can be prohibitive. Compared this investment, returns may be questionable in that country because of lack of awareness of employers to these credentials
3) For software engineers ambitious to come to North america on H1B, CSQE is probably a popular option.
Arvind

Top Bottom