TS 16949 Contingency Plan Requirements

M

mikespit

Has anyone come up with a simpler, cheaper method of satisfying 6.3.2 without setting up a duplicate production line, or stocking several months of finished goods? Our Manufacturing facility is in Mexico, but we are in Frederick, MD.

Thanks,

Mike S.

Ajit Basrur

Leader
Admin
Has anyone come up with a simpler, cheaper method of satisfying 6.3.2 without setting up a duplicate production line, or stocking several months of finished goods? Our Manufacturing facility is in Mexico, but we are in Frederick, MD.

Thanks,

Mike S.

Point 6.3.2 says " Contingency plans -The organization shall prepare contingency plans to satisfy customer requirements in the event of an emergency such as utility interruptions, labour shortages, key equipment failure and field returns".

Do you have any other facility besides Mexico ? Is the Frederick plant also a manufacturing site ?

If tahts the case, it becomes simple. In case of utility interruptions, you can have rest back on alternatives like generators etc. while in case of natural disasters or say fire, labour shortages, you can have Frederick as a backup.

In our case, we have identified our backups to other plants in Asia.

M

mikespit

qualityalways---Thanks for your input.

Unfortunately, Frederick is only a support site. We do the purchasing, design engineering, sales and marketing, etc. I know Mexico will get the certification, as they are the manufacturing site, but I don't know how to economically satisfy that requirement.

Mike S.

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
qualityalways---Thanks for your input.

Unfortunately, Frederick is only a support site. We do the purchasing, design engineering, sales and marketing, etc. I know Mexico will get the certification, as they are the manufacturing site, but I don't know how to economically satisfy that requirement.

Mike S.

Your contingency plan might be different from someone else's, but it's going to be hard to sell a plan without at least a provision for safety stock. Carrying inventory is just part of doing automotive business. You probably have daily or weekly output requirements, and the question is, if the lines stop producing, how will you continue to fulfill those requirements? You have to have (A) backup production capability, (B) safety stock, or (C) a waiver from your customer(s).

By the way, this really doesn't have much to do with 16949; if you make commitments to your customers, you're going to be expected to fulfill them.

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
Mike,

I am attaching an example of Volvo requirements for your reference. In the Contingency Plans, they have not mentioned any thing about manufacturing plants.

Thanks for the attachment.

Note that the Volvo plan says,
The nature of the problem shall be communicated...and immediate actions take to assure supply of products...
[Emphasis added]
While Volvo says nothing specific about how the continuing flow of product happens, it still has to happen.

Ajit Basrur

Leader
Admin
look at here, mybe it helps also :)

Hi Buetze, thanks for the wonderful attachment. mIts very informative. However, one quick question - the RPN is mentioned as maximum 125. From where did you get this figure ? Is it mentioned anywhere ?

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
Hi Buetze, thanks for the wonderful attachment. mIts very informative. However, one quick question - the RPN is mentioned as maximum 125. From where did you get this figure ? Is it mentioned anywhere ?

125 is the maximum possible, given the maximums of the individual factors. (assessment x significance x time need)

C

chaosweary

We get by just fine by having a plan to assure customer requirements are met. It says nothing about having another plant. If you do your risk assessment FMEA or whatever tool you use, and you have actions that will take care of the most common risks and document this methodolgy - process in your contingency plan I think you will do fine.
The expectation that you will continue to supply the customer during some remote catastrophic event that has an occurrence rate of zero, is not reasonable or realistic, this is recognized by our registrar and customers.

...do you need the name of our registar? :D

Top Bottom