Leggett and Platt LP9000 Internal Standard

R

REOQA

I am curious about the Leggett and Platt internal standard, LP9000 which they started using to eliminate part of the registrar game. Does anybody have a copy or can direct me to more resources? There is very little on the internet.

John Broomfield

Leader
Super Moderator
REOQA,

it looks like LP extend their management system (LP9000) to include some of their suppliers as an option to third party certification.

You may already have this LP letter from 2004 to that effect.

John

Ajit Basrur

Leader
Admin
http://www.sigmabk.pl/index.php?opt...e=shop.browse&category_id=45&Itemid=1&lang=en

L&P Home Furniture Components is LP9000-certified an ISO 90001-compliant program. The LP9000 system creates a framework for clearly defining the control of quality processes as referenced in our documented management system manual, procedures and work instructions. The Corporate Quality Assurance Department develops and maintains the Policy Manual.

Leggett & Platt operations will engage in the Continuous Improvement process to supply quality products to our customers and for improvement of our system of doing business. Continuous Improvement has four main components: focus on the customer, involvement of our employees, improvement of our processes, and improvement of the LP9000:2006 management system. Each Leggett & Platt operation will develop procedures and specific action plans for Continuous Improvement in processes and products that are important to the customer (internal and external).

R

REOQA

I was hoping to find some background about why L & P developed their own standard and what differences there are between LP9000 and ISO 9001. I found some brief information that they were not satisfied with the value received from registrars and rather than waste money on ISO registration they pulled it all together internally. In my experience, surveillance audits are just an income producer for the registrars and a waste of time and energy for the company. Who came up with the need to audit annually anyway? The spirit of ISO 9001 is much more powerful than any certificate.

John Broomfield

Leader
Super Moderator
Yes, most of the value should come from the management system itself.

L&P may know their suppliers well and be working closely with them for the benefit of customers and other stakeholders. L&P and their suppliers may do this with integrity and rigor for the benefit of both parties.

Even the best accredited certificates may not provide much value in this situation.

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
I was hoping to find some background about why L & P developed their own standard and what differences there are between LP9000 and ISO 9001. I found some brief information that they were not satisfied with the value received from registrars and rather than waste money on ISO registration they pulled it all together internally. In my experience, surveillance audits are just an income producer for the registrars and a waste of time and energy for the company. Who came up with the need to audit annually anyway? The spirit of ISO 9001 is much more powerful than any certificate.
I saw this in the late 1990's with a few companies such as Otis Elevator. I don't doubt things have changed, but they had their own Customer Specific Requirement which was essentially ISO 9001 rephrased. They used it for supplier qualification.

There was also the old Valeo 1000 which Valeo used in the same way back in the 1990's. I have no idea whether Valeo still has the program, but same thing as far as I can tell.

As to the value of ISO 9001 - I'll opt out from stating my opinion.

Top Bottom