Incoming (Receiving) Inspection of SMT components

M

MANATEC

Dear All,

A very good morning to all.

Our company is into the manufacture of garage equipments. We are procuring a wide variety of electronic components in both discrete & smt packages.

My question is " Is incoming inspection required for the SMT type of electronic components". If yes, what are the basic parameters that are to be ensured at our incoming inspection. We are in the process of framing the Quality Assurance Plan for all our products & would like to freeze the same with a lot of help from the team in this forum.

Many thanks in advance...

Kales Veggie

People: The Vital Few
Dear All,

A very good morning to all.

Our company is into the manufacture of garage equipments. We are procuring a wide variety of electronic components in both discrete & smt packages.

My question is " Is incoming inspection required for the SMT type of electronic components". If yes, what are the basic parameters that are to be ensured at our incoming inspection. We are in the process of framing the Quality Assurance Plan for all our products & would like to freeze the same with a lot of help from the team in this forum.

Many thanks in advance...

I think it is economically impossible for most SMT using companies to do an effective parameter inspection on SMT components.

My suggestion is:

- to verify the label on the reels and packaging
- to verify any markings/color codes on the components (use magnification)

You can do this on a sampling basis.

M

MANATEC

Dear Kees,

Thanks for your reply.

Well frankly i have been following the same line but i am unable to convince my top management on the same. Is there any standard available for the same??

Thanks

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Leader
Admin
Dear Kees,

Thanks for your reply.

Well frankly i have been following the same line but i am unable to convince my top management on the same. Is there any standard available for the same??

Thanks
What kind of inspection does your top management believe you should be doing?

When I did receiving inspection for aerospace components, my inspections were for physical characteristics and to verify other requirements were apparently met, to the extent they impacted the quality of what we produced when using them.

That included things like evidence of temperature controls and conformance to chemical requirements (C of C or C of A), lot numbers and manufacture dates for materials that expire, and dimensions of things that ended up impacting form and fit.

If my incoming parts included things like mother boards, there's a definite limit to my inspection capability. I'm not about to try to replace/repeat the inspection that should have been done at their manufacture. We have supplier quality control for that need.

M

MANATEC

This is mainly standard SMT components like resistors,diodes,capacitors, transistors & IC's. We procure the same from authourised distributors or online at mouser,digikey. Our management wants us to verify the same for its performances but we at the quality dept say that just checking the part no is enough.

Top Bottom