Countersink Tools - Burrs on the bottom and at the top of the holes

S

sergiov

Since we had capacity issues, we needed to laser cut some parts instead of punch them in a Turret.

Those parts require Countersinks, which we are doing on a drill press, we have a nice one flute countersink tool, which makes clean holes, but not always centered.

We got some cheap 6 flute countersink tools and now the problem is the burrs on the bottom and at the top of the holes.

Is it because the cheap tools? Speed? or Pressure?

Thanks

Stijloor

Leader
Super Moderator
Since we had capacity issues, we needed to laser cut some parts instead of punch them in a Turret.

Those parts require Countersinks, which we are doing on a drill press, we have a nice one flute countersink tool, which makes clean holes, but not always centered.

We got some cheap 6 flute countersink tools and now the problem is the burrs on the bottom and at the top of the holes.

Thanks

Burrs may indicate that the cutting tool (tooth) geometry is incorrect.
You mentioned "cheap"...well, you usually get what you pay for. :notme:
I would suggest to continue with the one-flute countersink tool and work to improve the location of the countersink relative to the hole. Consider clamping the part as one of the options.

Stijloor.

CarolX

Trusted Information Resource

Probably all three. Speed and feed will always give you a nice counter sink, but if the tools are cheap and dulling quickly, the operator may be putting a lot of extra pressure on the crank to get the tool to cut (I've seen this too frequently).

AndyN

Moved On
Burrs may indicate that the cutting tool (tooth) geometry is incorrect.
You mentioned "cheap"...well, you usually get what you pay for. :notme:
I would suggest to continue with the one-flute countersink tool and work to improve the location of the countersink relative to the hole. Consider clamping the part as one of the options.

Stijloor.

Check how sharp and cutting geometry, too!

Maaran

Starting to get Involved
Hi Guys,

I have some problems during the countersinking process (Vertical Milling Machine).

Incident details:
1. Nylon part was countersink and the swarf was buildup.
2. After drilling, I pick an air gun blower to blow the swarf in the tool and jig.
3. Place the part again and drill.
4. Blow again.

It increases the cycle time.

My idea:
1. Fix the air gun blower in front of the swarf buildup area.
2. When I press the foot pedal and then the air gun blower will blow the swarf out from the tool and jig.

My problem:
1. I don't have the experience to make it. (Such as materials, and process flow)

shanmukha

Registered
It is due to inappropriate tool geometry, may be tool material grade, stock allowance and wrong cutting parameters.

Top Bottom