Definition Engineer's Main File Definition - What is an "Engineer's Main File"?

D

Dan Sima

In my company colleagues define it as a BOM. They told me it stands for "engineer's main file". Because sounds a bit silly I have seached online but didn't find anywhere this definition or something similar.
Any thoughts?

Ajit Basrur

Leader
Admin
Re: EMF - Definition

Welcome to the Cove :bigwave:

The Engineer's Main File is not a standard term ... could you tell us what it contains ? This way, we can tell you the standard term and then help define.

D

Dan Sima

Actually contains all the info like in the Bill of Materials. The problem is that we use both so this creates confusion.
My colleagues explanation is that the information in EMF are keyed in our ERP.
That's why i want to ask if anyone met this term EMF in this way.

somashekar

Leader
Admin

That is the Technical file. Also it is called Technical construction file.
That which the design and development engineer own and make changes and approve as necessary.

D

Dan Sima

Probably you're right, that's what they want to achieve. Anyhow i need to find a way to clarify this with them.
Thanks Somashekar

Ajit Basrur

Leader
Admin

Actually contains all the info like in the Bill of Materials. The problem is that we use both so this creates confusion.
My colleagues explanation is that the information in EMF are keyed in our ERP.
That's why i want to ask if anyone met this term EMF in this way.

Or it could be just a BOM !

P

PaulJSmith

If that file contains information (e.g. technical data sheets for various components) that would be either unnecessary or even confusing to the production folks using a BOM file, then it would make sense to keep a different file with that additional info.

I've personally never encountered that specific file name, but that doesn't make it wrong. The term used to identify it is almost irrelevant, though. It could be called guacamole for all that matters, so long as everyone understand what it means.

D

Dan Sima

Thank you guys for sharing your ideas. Very helpful, specially for a rookie in automotive field.

Top Bottom