What is a Level III (Level 3) PPAP?

R

Riverbend

I have a customer asking for a Level III PPAP.
The only PPAP manual I have (PPAP Third Edition) doesn't differeniate between levels of PPAP's, not sure what they want.:thanx:

Re: What is a level III PPAP?

First of all, the PPAP Manual is at 4th edition since June 1, 2006.
AIAG PPAP (Production Part Approval Process) Manual Fourth Edition Released.
Your customer will most likely want you to submit a PPAP package that is in line with the 4th edition at this time.
To answer your question, a Level 3 PPAP means that they want everything. That means they want a Parts Submission Warrant, sample parts, and a complete data package for all of the PPAP requirements listed in Section I.2, PPAP Process Requirements in your 3rd edition manual. See Section I.4.1, Submission Levels in your 3rd edition manual for a differentiation.

Stijloor

Leader
Super Moderator

I have a customer asking for a Level III PPAP.
The only PPAP manual I have (PPAP Third Edition) doesn't differeniate between levels of PPAP's, not sure what they want.:thanx:

Riverbend,

The 3rd Ed PPAP also differentiated between submission levels. That did not change with the 4th Ed.

If you never had any training in PPAP, you may want to look for a good training source in your area. Don't "gamble" with the PPAP process. It can create lots of problems for your company.

Stijloor.

Kales Veggie

People: The Vital Few

Riverbend,

PPAP has a defensive and an offensive strategy. As a supplier you should look at a defensive strategy (for example protect proprietary information). Your customer might want to know everything.

PPAP should give your customer confidence that your company can produce parts that meet all the requirements, but also give your company confidence that its intellectual property is protected.

When you are looking at PPAP training, see if the training includes what I mentioned. My impression of the PPAP training at AIAG is that it takes the customer approach.

Your customer requested a level III PPAP, but do not give the store away (such as full copies of DFMEA, PFMEA, control plan or work instructions). It would be OK to make these available at your site or at your sales office only.

B

Bigfoot

Riverbend,

PPAP has a defensive and an offensive strategy. As a supplier you should look at a defensive strategy (for example protect proprietary information). Your customer might want to know everything.

PPAP should give your customer confidence that your company can produce parts that meet all the requirements, but also give your company confidence that its intellectual property is protected.

When you are looking at PPAP training, see if the training includes what I mentioned. My impression of the PPAP training at AIAG is that it takes the customer approach.

Your customer requested a level III PPAP, but do not give the store away (such as full copies of DFMEA, PFMEA, control plan or work instructions). It would be OK to make these available at your site or at your sales office only.

All good advice so far. Level 3 PPAP involves you being able to address all 19 of the items listed in the PPAP manual on the chart showing Submission vs. Retention. My da#* memory is failing so I can't recall the name or page in the manual!!:confused: Make sure to contact your customer approval authority and determine what their expectations are. Some Purchasing departments automatically default to a level 3 PPAP on their PO when it isn't always what they need. They may not require you to submit the level 3 documentation. :2cents:

WCHorn

Rubber, Too Glamorous?
Trusted Information Resource
I believe the Level refers only to the submission requirements. All PPAP levels invoke all 19 elements of the PPAP.

I have some customers (down the supply chain from automotive) that say "just send me a level 1" or something similar. They think that reduces the amount of work necessary to complete the work related to the PPAP. It doesn't. When any PPAP is required, regardless of level, you do all the work to complete all the PPAP elements, retain all the documentation, and then use the level to determine what portion of the documentation to send to the customer.

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
I believe the Level refers only to the submission requirements. All PPAP levels invoke all 19 elements of the PPAP.

I would say "all applicable elements," because there are many occassions when some of the 18 (not 19) are not applicable (Appearance Approval Report, e.g.).

I have some customers (down the supply chain from automotive) that say "just send me a level 1" or something similar. They think that reduces the amount of work necessary to complete the work related to the PPAP. It doesn't. When any PPAP is required, regardless of level, you do all the work to complete all the PPAP elements, retain all the documentation, and then use the level to determine what portion of the documentation to send to the customer.

It's a common misconception, but you're right. Saying "Level 1" doesn't relieve the supplier of doing all of the applicable elements.

I have several customers that say "Send me a Level 4 warrant with Items 7 & 8" or "I just need a warrant for my files". I send them a PSW with Items 7 & 8 and a waiver of all the other sections and a statement that there is no other documentation right on the "Explanation/Comments" line of the PSW. Once they sign, it is auditor proof. PPAP is a customer specified requirement.

Top Bottom