The Right Cleanliness Test Standard for Coolers and Radiators

S

SimpleIsGood

My company makes coolers--radiators. We test for cleanliness using the SAE J1726, the Charge Air Cooler Internal Cleanliness, Leakage and Nomenclature standard.

However, one of our customers wants us to meet the SAE J1227, the standard for Assessing Cleanliness of Hydraulic Power Components and Systems.

We are actually okay in terms of the total weight or amount of dirt. The problem is trying to meet the largest particle size standard. J1726 (the one we like) allows particles as large as about 3mm. The J1227 standard (the one they likes) only allows particles as large as .3mm.

THAT'S 10 TIMES SMALLER!

I believe they are applying a standard meant for things like hydraulic actuators, pistons and gas cylinders. They should be using the one intended for radiators. Anyone know if I'm correct? Any suggestions on tactfully "esplaining" to them that the standards are not compatible? That we shouldn't be asked to meet the tougher power component standard? At least not without a cost increase?

Thanks.

S

SimpleIsGood

Re: The Right Cleanliness Test Standard

Anyone familiar with these test standards?

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
Re: The Right Cleanliness Test Standard

I'm not familiar with the standards you cite, but I would expect the particle size to be appropriate to what the air or fluid goes into. You say a radiator. Is it fluid filled?

S

SimpleIsGood

The J1726 standard is for charge AIR coolers that flow air to a turbocharger or supercharger.

The J1227 standard is for ... ? I'm not sure what SAE means by "hydraulic fluid power components."

Top Bottom