Do you like Puzzles? Books in the Bible

C

crendfrey

Do you like Puzzles?

Puzzles are one of my hobbies and I just can’t keep this one to myself.
If I am out of line let me know and I will never post a puzzle again….I promise.

If you do enjoy the mental challenges of a puzzle, here is a great one my daughter sent to me.
So.. Drag out that old catechism from 19** and give it a try.

30 Books
=========

Can you find thirty (30) books of the Bible in this paragraph?
Actually, there are 31 if you can find the variant of one Old
Testament prophet's name.

There are 30 books of the Bible in this paragraph. Can you find them? This is a most remarkable puzzle. It was found by a gentleman in an airplane seat pocket, on a flight from Los Angeles to Honolulu, keeping him occupied for hours. He enjoyed it so much, he passed it on to some friends. One friend from Illinois worked on this while fishing from his john boat. Another friend studied it while playing his banjo. Elaine Taylor, a columnist friend, was so intrigued by it she mentioned it in her weekly newspaper column. Another friend judges the job of solving this puzzle so involving, she brews a cup of tea to help her nerves. There will be some names that are really easy to spot. That's a fact. Some people, however, will soon find themselves in a jam, especially since the book names are not necessarily capitalized. Truthfully, from answers we get, we are forced to admit it usually takes a minister or a scholar to see some of them at the worst. Research has shown that something in our genes is responsible for the difficulty we have in seeing the books in this paragraph. During a recent fund raising event, which featured this puzzle, the Alpha Delta Phi lemonade booth set a new record. The local paper, The Chronicle, surveyed over 200 patrons who reported that this puzzle was one of the most difficult they had ever seen. As Daniel Humana humbly puts it, "The books are all right here in plain view hidden from sight." Those able to find all of them will hear great lamentations from those who have to be shown. One revelation that may help is that books like Timothy and Samuel may occur without their numbers. Also, keep in mind, that punctuation and spaces in the middle are normal. A chipper attitude will help you compete really well against those who claim to know the answers. Remember, there is no need for a mad exodus; there really are 30 books of the Bible lurking somewhere in this paragraph waiting to be found. God Bless.

from The Mountain:
The 31 answers will be in Saturday's MountainWings issue.

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
I can't find any. In the gospel according to JW, the bible consists of only 5 books, not necessarily in this order:
  1. PPAP
  2. MSA
  3. APQP
  4. Statistical Process Control
  5. FMEA
:rolleyes:

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
crendfrey said:
Do you like Puzzles?

Puzzles are one of my hobbies and I just can’t keep this one to myself.
If I am out of line let me know and I will never post a puzzle again….I promise.

If you do enjoy the mental challenges of a puzzle, here is a great one my daughter sent to me.
So.. Drag out that old catechism from 19** and give it a try.

30 Books
=========

See the attachment.

Attachments

• 30 books of the Bible.doc
    21.5 KB · Views: 763
C

crendfrey

Very funny .....:lmao:

Most excellent Jim Wynne.
I see you are a kindred spirit.

One hint Esther. :biglaugh:

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
Note: This is not a religious discussion--we're speaking academically here.

crendfrey said:
One hint Esther. :biglaugh:

Note that if the reference is about this

Actually, there are 31 if you can find the variant of one Old
Testament prophet's name.

Esther is not considered a prophet by Christians. She's referenced as such in the Talmud, though, but that doesn't count here because some of the books of the Bible embedded in the puzzle (the so-called minor prophet books) are only recognized as separate books by Christians; in the Hebrew Bible, they're combined into a single book.

C

crendfrey

Correct: This is NOT a religious discussion!:D

My personal frame of reference lists Esther as one of the historical books.

Purely academically:
Did you happen to notice all of the names containing “ia” (Jeremiah, Galatians etc.) are absent from the puzzle?

Good thing the Apocryphal Books aren’t listed, or if they are I couldn’t find them.:truce:

Top Bottom