CQE Test and Preparation - Is work experience needed?

R

raghuramas

Hi Friends,

I just want to get forum's opinion on this matter.

I have 3.5yrs work exp as supervisor in an medical device industry &
2 years exp as excutive responsibility - Reg.Affairs in an medical device industry &
1 year exp as Quality Assurance Manager in an medical device industry.

SInce my family members are there in Canada, I am planning to move CANANDA and applied for Permanent Residence.

Now at this stage, I want to get certified as CQE by American Society for Quality. I have two degrees with me ( B.Sc Chem and B.Tech (polymer) both obtained from Indian Universities ).

I am interested in this test and I need valuable suggestions from the Forum members that whether I can go ahead to write the exams or still I need work exp to qualify for the exams. Also I am interested to know about the job opportunities for CQE in USA and CANADA.

Regards,
Raghu

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Leader
Admin
Re: CQE tests and preparations

Raghu, it appears as though your education and experience will be accepted as requirements to sit the exam.

It has been some time since I have taken the exam, and it has changed in the interim. But to understand how ready I was to take the exam, I used a CD of test questions from Quality America. (I am not affiliated with Quality America) When I last tested, I compared the materials with the ones available from Quality Council of Indiana (CQI), and found CQI vastly inferior.

I will let others address opportunities for CQE in Canada. I can say, however, that I would expect good opportunities in biomedical and medical device fields.

Kales Veggie

People: The Vital Few

I concur with Jennifer. The material of the Quality Council of Indiana is great (I am not affliated with them). I recently purchased 2 of their products and am very satisfied.

Stijloor

Leader
Super Moderator

I concur with Jennifer. The material of the Quality Council of Indiana is great (I am not affliated with them). I recently purchased 2 of their products and am very satisfied.

Kees,

I believe that Jennifer said:

But to understand how ready I was to take the exam, I used a CD of test questions from Quality America. (I am not affiliated with Quality America) When I last tested, I compared the materials with the ones available from Quality Council of Indiana (CQI), and found CQI vastly inferior.

Last edited:
D

Dean Frederickson

Kees I think you misunderstood Jennifer, she said "and found CQI vastly inferior."

BradM

Leader
Admin

Raghu,

We greatly appreciate you dropping by. We sure hope you come around more to contribute. Also, please tell your friends about it!

The CQE seems to me to be a very popular test. I'm sure the term "hard" is very subjective. Many (including myself) would say it's moderately challenging. Others may say it was easy. Both groups would be correct!:)

I think there are several groups of prep material; some probably better than others. I have the Quality Council of Indiana (CQI) primer that I found useful. I also carried in a CQE handbook and Juran's quality handbook. I used all three, however....

The key is not having a bunch of books, or trying to memorize things. The key is being able to find the answers to the problems in a timely/efficient manner.

As far as the job, I don't think a CQE on your resume would hurt. However, I would start right now job searching. Get your resume together and see what kind of jobs you can procure in the quality profession.

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Leader
Admin

Kees I think you misunderstood Jennifer, she said "and found CQI vastly inferior."
That's correct.

While I found the CQI Primers sufficient to help pass the exams, I did not think they provided enough depth to serve as good reference material. I didn't think they gave enough information on subjects to learn how to put the subjects in practice. :2cents:

This might have changed in recent years.

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin

That's correct.

While I found the CQI Primers sufficient to help pass the exams, I did not think they provided enough depth to serve as good reference material. I didn't think they gave enough information on subjects to learn how to put the subjects in practice. :2cents:

I may be mistaken, but I'm not sure the purpose of the QCI (not CQI) is to serve as reference material or comprehensive "how-to" guides. They're primers for the tests.

Top Bottom