What is the frequency needed to verify the Cold rooms temperature?‎:notme:

What is the better method to calibrate the used thermometers?‎:notme:

What is the frequency needed to calibrate thermometers?‎:notme:

Stijloor

Leader
Super Moderator
Re: Cold rooms temperature

Dawelah,

This company makes thermometers for that purpose.

This site includes a link to a fact sheet, but you must register first.

BTW, have you also consulted your country's food safety standards?

NOTE: I am not associated with this company.

Stijloor.

Last edited:

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader

BTW, have you also consulted your country's food safety standards?
I agree. I would *assume* this is where any standards, if any, would be proscribed prescribed. Personally I have no idea what applicable standard Saudi Arabia would have.

Anyone know about the US or elsewhere?

Last edited:
J

JaneB

I would *assume* this is where any standards, if any, would be proscribed.

Marc, I assume that this was a typo, and in fact you meant that standards (if any) would be prescribed ?

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader

Yes, I've used the wrong word before, and I'm betting I will again. Thanks for the heads up!

BradM

Leader
Admin
Typically in the states, the local health departments are the ones that keep such information. So if you are in the US, just contact your local health department. All of those criteria listed are pretty clear, and are verified during routine health inspections.

As far as the type of thermometer, typically any restaurant supply will have the thermometers that you require.

As far as a national standard, I would check with the US Health and Human Services.

Dawelah, I am completely ignorant whether your required inspections would be less, the same, or greater than what is in the US. I would contact the officials in your city, precinct, area, and they can tell you. Any gov't health agency could lead you to the correct source.

As far as optimal storage and such, you could contact the individual supplying the product going into the refrigerator. They typically have pretty good storage requirements, and should be willing to share them with you.

Honestly, I am not sure I have ever seen/heard of these thermometers being calibrated. Most of the time, people just buy three or four of them. As long as they agree, they're OK. If you want them calibrated, send them to a competent lab in your area. Personal opinion: start off with an annual calibration; then go from there. NOTE: Do make sure they are clean and free from bacteria before sending them in.

Hope something there helps.:)

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit
I am not acquainted with requirements for restaurants, but I am familiar with what manufacturers do in their various cold rooms [as well as ovens]:
They have a recording thermometer which makes a continuous record of the temperature, some records go directly to computer network with alarms if the temperature strays outside the control limits.

Many companies still use a thermometer which records the temperature fluctuation on graph paper.

One type of digital thermometer which hooks up to a computer is shown here:
http://www.omega.com/ppt/pptsc.asp?ref=HH306A&Nav=teml04

Various models are available which connect to computers by cable or wireless transmission.

The various supply houses which sell these usually have access to a service which can provide periodic calibration and certification of the thermometer to assure it meets applicable Standards.

Let me point out the primary reason for maintaining a log or record of the temperature of food storage facilities is for human safety against bacterial growth in food if the temperature should have fluctuations bringing ambient temperature of cold foods ABOVE 40 degrees Fahrenheit or frozen foods above 20 degree Fahrenheit. (Hot food is usually kept at or above 140 degrees Fahrenheit.)

Secondary reasons include food qualities of taste and texture as well as any local or national regulations. The recording device assures both operators and regulators the food in storage has been kept at optimum conditions.

DISCLAIMER: Although I have been a customer of Omega for various instruments, I have no financial interest in the company and have merely selected the first thermometer I googled when using the term "recording thermometer."

6thsense

Involved In Discussions
Just to add to Wes contribution,

We are a plant that makes beverages and some of our ingredients have to be kept in cold storage. The temperature controller is an electronic piece that shows the present temperature of the cold room. This is verified at the beginning of each day and recorded on a form. In determining the temperature you need to know what is the optimum temperature for the various foods you should keep e.g some has to be kept frozen some just chilled.
It is also particularly useful to have a means to record the temperature of the food stuffs when they arrive. this can be simply done by recording the temperature on the invoice if it comes with Trucks that have Cold Storage.

Thermometers are also available that have a probe that you insert into produce and note the actual temperature of the produce. I am yet to come across these Zimbabwe but I hear they should be available all over.

Top Bottom