Formal Quality Qualification - What qualification(s) would be the best?

H

harryg

I have been involved in Quality Assurance/Quality Control/Project Management for more than 25 years with no formal Quality qualification. I did numourous courses and do a lot of research to keep up with latest quality issues but find this is not always enough. I would like to obtain a formal qualification but is not sure what qualification would be the best to go for at my age of 54. CAN ANYBODY PLEASE ASSIST/ADVISE.

Stijloor

Leader
Super Moderator
Re: Formal Quality Qualification.

I have been involved in Quality Assurance/Quality Control/Project Management for more than 25 years with no formal Quality qualification. I did numourous courses and do a lot of research to keep up with latest quality issues but find this is not always enough. I would like to obtain a formal qualification but is not sure what qualification would be the best to go for at my age of 54. CAN ANYBODY PLEASE ASSIST/ADVISE.

Welcome to The Cove Forums! :bigwave: :bigwave:

Are you familiar with ASQ? They have good information on their site www.asq.org about various professional quality certifications.

I am sure other members here will chime in.

Stijloor.

C

ChrissieO

Another alternative is the Chartered Quality Institue - CQI

More formal qualificiations are something I have considered for some time, yes Colin, even at my age:cool:. but never got round to looking into.

What do you think the benefits of joining CQI would be to some one like me as the subscription of 100+ pound a year is quite a sum for me and I don't envisage the company forking out for it :lol:

Chrissie

Randy

Super Moderator
Your individual competence should speak more than some fluff letters behind your name. I run into people all the time that have every letter in the alphabet attached to their signature and they can't so much as spell Quality Professional much less be one.

In the end it's what you can and do deliver much, much more than what you can promise with titles.;)

T

tyker

More formal qualificiations are something I have considered for some time, yes Colin, even at my age:cool:. but never got round to looking into.

What do you think the benefits of joining CQI would be to some one like me as the subscription of 100+ pound a year is quite a sum for me and I don't envisage the company forking out for it :lol:

Chrissie

Quite a lot of the benefits to be gained from the CQI don't require membership. You can access job adverts on the website and get details of local branch events from the same source. Most of the events organized by my local branch are free and we welcome non-members (I ususally invite colleagues from work to attend). How about going along, doing a bit of networking and judging from that whether or not to join.

I don't know your situation or ambitions so can't say to what extent you'd benefit. Personally, I've never got a promotion or a new job by having the MCQI letters after my name and, having just got my renewal invoice, I agree it is bl**dy expensive. For some reason though, I quite like it.

M

Markaich

harryg,

like yourself, I spent many 'unqualified' (though not incompetent) years working in quality (and other business improvement areas). To play some sort of catch up, I undertook an MSc in Strategic Quality Management with Portsmouth Uni. It has a distance learning option which suited my circumstances.

from what I gather, it's a well thought of Quality qualification and does meet all the requirements of CQI...I enjoyed the work and found it very informative. Details can be found here > http://www.port.ac.uk/courses/coursetypes/postgraduate/MScStrategicQualityManagement/

Hope this helps
M

H

harryg

I gave this a lot of thought and with the inputs I got I decided with all my QA experience it will be more of an advantage for me to study business management. I will employ QA consultants on my QA problem areas. This direction will also benefit me more when I start my own business after retirement. Thanks very very much for all the inputs. :agree:
Once quality becomes a lifestyle and simply logic. i dont think formal education will improve that a lot.

Randy

Super Moderator
I gave this a lot of thought and with the inputs I got I decided with all my QA experience it will be more of an advantage for me to study business management. I will employ QA consultants on my QA problem areas. This direction will also benefit me more when I start my own business after retirement. Thanks very very much for all the inputs. :agree:
Once quality becomes a lifestyle and simply logic. i dont think formal education will improve that a lot.

You have absolutely identified the correct answer that I try to pound into folks...Expand your horizons and increase your value.

You are a commodity just like an item in a store and its the commodity with the best packaging that normally gets noticed 1st.

J0anne

Joanne
Your individual competence should speak more than some fluff letters behind your name. I run into people all the time that have every letter in the alphabet attached to their signature and they can't so much as spell Quality Professional much less be one.

In the end it's what you can and do deliver much, much more than what you can promise with titles.;)
:applause::applause::applause:

Excellent!

Top Bottom