Shop Floor Real Time SPC Inquiry

Kales Veggie

People: The Vital Few
Covers,

I am looking for suggestions.

Here is the issue:

A manufacturing company machines complicated aluminum die castings. Per prescribed interval, parts are taken to the CMM room and measured (upto 50 characteristics such as position, angle, concentricity, taper, diameter, depth, flatness). The CMM data is stored electronically. There are about 30 different part number that are machined. Currently the CMM data is analyzed using excel spreadsheets and Minitab. This is a cumbersome and time consuming process. Minitab is a great tool, but not for this application.

To improve the process (faster feedback, real time data), I am looking for suggestions of a Shopfloor / Real time SPC program that can:

- import the CMM data (and some non-CMM data, such as surface finish)
- store the data by part number
- show SPC charts at the machine by part number
- analytical capabilities at the engineer's desktop
- issue warnings by email when out of control and out of tolerance conditions occur (==> action has to be taken)

I am familiar with InfinityQS and somewhat with WinSPC.

What suggestions do you have?

Stijloor

Leader
Super Moderator
Covers,

I am looking for suggestions.

Here is the issue:

A manufacturing company machines complicated aluminum die castings. Per prescribed interval, parts are taken to the CMM room and measured (upto 50 characteristics such as position, angle, concentricity, taper, diameter, depth, flatness). The CMM data is stored electronically. There are about 30 different part number that are machined. Currently the CMM data is analyzed using excel spreadsheets and Minitab. This is a cumbersome and time consuming process. Minitab is a great tool, but not for this application.

To improve the process (faster feedback, real time data), I am looking for suggestions of a Shopfloor / Real time SPC program that can:

- import the CMM data (and some non-CMM data, such as surface finish)
- store the data by part number
- show SPC charts at the machine by part number
- analytical capabilities at the engineer's desktop
- issue warnings by email when out of control and out of tolerance conditions occur (==> action has to be taken)

Kees,

You may want to contact this company. I have no personal experience with their programs, but they've been around for a long time.

Jan.

NOTE: I have no association with this organization.

S

supreecha

I have just contacted with InfinityQS and somewhat with WinSPC.

:agree:

And benchmarking with SQC Pack 2000 , Minitab R-16 And InfinityQS R.4
What suggestions did the working group have it in your experience ?

Last edited by a moderator:
S

supreecha

InfinityQS :
:thanx:

Attachments

• Data Acquisition Tools.pdf
    337.9 KB · Views: 248
  • InfinityQS At A Glance.pdf
    221.5 KB · Views: 169
N

ncwalker

If the CMM software APPENDs to a datafile, like turning on SPC in PCDMIS, then it is VERY easy to link to this file with Excel. You can search for help on "linking to an external file." Once you get the data in Excel (depending on how strong you are with it) you can get THAT to SPC charts easily.

If the CMM software is creating a separate data file for each part measured you have 3 options:
1) write some VBA code to step through the files and pull the data you want
2) Get something like Chartrunner. An SPC package by Lighthouse can also do this pretty well.
3) Figure out how to turn the SPC data file in your CMM and go back to step one.

As far as sending an email (or a text) the capabilities are there in programming. I know it can be done in Microsoft Access. Maybe in "new Excel" but I have not checked. Old Excel could but you had to jump through hoops and it crashed all the time. (My experience).

S

supreecha

If we use Dage 4000 Destrctive equipment ( Wire Pull Tester ) . I need expert person suggestion me for SPC Master Program management .

bobdoering

Stop X-bar/R Madness!!
Trusted Information Resource
A manufacturing company machines complicated aluminum die castings.

The beauty of InfinityQS is that they are capable of creating X hi/lo-R charts, in case the machining can be qualified as "precision machining". If it is precision machining, and the software can not produce those charts, it is pretty much a waste of money.

P

pearsonow

Bob,

Couldn't agree more. As my company doesn't have the spare cash (£25,000) for the Infinity QS implementation we have had suggested I am creating Excel sheets/VBA code/Databasing to do it all in house - slower, but less costly!

B

b9ofus

We use a system from Factory Systems. It is designed for the floor. If the machine is capable it can talk directly to the software and make adjustments.

S

supreecha

We thx. for your sharing , So far my used Minitab for engineer high level up to do this although setting the control limits and getting the chart routinely updated with new data in paralled with EXCEL on shop floor operators , But I have more 70 (W/B) machines for closed up monitoring .

(Key-in data ,acquisition) .My engineer must spent the several times for grouping and analysis them . If we can get On-Line SPC inplaced of Offline SPC. it would be save time management for SPC team .:caution:

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom