Can I have two raw material suppliers for one type raw material in one PPAP?

D

DavidXXQ

Supplier A is our main raw material supplier, and sometimes our raw material supplier A don't have enough capacity to schedule our Purchase Order, at this time, we only can send our purchase order to raw material B to avoid delay our customer's purchase order. (we produce Aluminium parts from cut off the Aluminium bar, and only need one type of raw material)
So before we send our PPAP to our customer, we will approve both the raw material suppliers A and B.
My question are:
1. Can we include the two raw material suppliers in one PPAP to send to our customer to approve?
2. if yes in question 1, do we need show the two material certificates from two suppliers in the PPAP?
3. if yes in question 1, do we need make two layout dimensions inspection reports with the two suppliers' raw material in the PPAP?
4. and our CPK reports always show the raw material order number to track, because we have two suppliers, do we need to make two CPK reports, one CPK report is from the parts which raw material is from the supplier A, and the other CPK reports is from the parts which raw material is from the other supplier B?
5. If the answer is no in question1, if this means we only can keep one raw material supplier to comply with TS16949? if we send PPAP with raw material supplier A, we can't order raw material from supplier B? if we need to order raw material from supplier B, we need resend PPAP, and after approve this PPAP, we can't order raw material A? in one words, TS16949 don't allow two raw material suppliers for redundance or load balance, do it?

Last edited by a moderator:

Kales Veggie

People: The Vital Few
Re: Can I have two raw material suppliers in one PPAP?

1. Can we include the two raw material suppliers in one PPAP to send to our customer to approve?
2. if yes in question 1, do we need show the two material certificates from two suppliers in the PPAP?
3. if yes in question 1, do we need make two layout dimensions inspection reports with the two suppliers' raw material in the PPAP?
4. and our CPK reports always show the raw material order number to track,

Great question. I have done this before with wire for harnesses.

1) Yes, you can. It gives you flexibility
2) Yes, also your PPAP run should be with material from both
3) depends. If the raw materials has an influence on dimensional or testing, then should measure and test with both.
4) yes, I would separate based on 3).

Let your customer know as well ahead of time and get agreement (to avoid a PPAP rejection).

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin

Great question. I have done this before with wire for harnesses.

1) Yes, you can. It gives you flexibility
2) Yes, also your PPAP run should be with material from both
3) depends. If the raw materials has an influence on dimensional or testing, then should measure and test with both.
4) yes, I would separate based on 3).

Let your customer know as well ahead of time and get agreement (to avoid a PPAP rejection).

Good advice :agree1:, but it's important to remember the difference between a material "cert" as typically received from raw material suppliers, and a material test report as required for PPAP. Have a look at the AIAG PPAP Manual, 4th edition, pages 6-7. I have seen supplier's certs that meet all of these requirements only rarely. While your customer might not make an issue of it (and many don't), you can still be dinged in a CB audit for not meeting the requirements.

D

DavidXXQ

Kales and Jim, Thanks, you are great!
I am in this question many days, today out with your helps, thank you again!

Top Bottom