Are email acceptable as records? Email for a customer approval of some part?

J

just67horns

Simple question, are email acceptable as records? Can you use an email for a customer approval of some part? Can you use it in your contract review...
I'm concerned about data loss of email, or if email is OK, What about verbal approvals? I like it written. Anybody have a good definition for TS organizations? Thanks in advance:D

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
just66horns said:
Simple question, are email acceptable as records? Can you use an email for a customer approval of some part? Can you use it in your contract review...
Yes

just66horns said:
I'm concerned about data loss of email
That's what backups are for. :D

just66horns said:
or if email is OK, What about verbal approvals?
Steven Wright said you can't have everything, because where would you keep it? The same applies to verbal approvals as records, I think.

just66horns said:
Anybody have a good definition for TS organizations?
Do you mean a definition of what constitutes a record, or what form records must take? If there are customer requirements for record-keeping, you should make sure that the customer approves of whatever forms and storage/retrieval systems you use. Some records might be subject to legal or regulatory requirements.

S

sunwen

I think it is kinds of record

You can discuss anything with your customer by email, then it is your records.:applause:

Cari Spears

Super Moderator
Leader
Super Moderator
just66horns said:
I'm concerned about data loss of email, or if email is OK,
We get email approvals for things all the time. We print the email out and put it in the job file.

O

Old Quality Gal

Disaster recovery and Back-up

Likely you are already doing this for other important electronic systems such as CAD, ERP etc but don't forget. As soon as you point to an electronic item as a record you need to show proof of prudent disaster recovery and back-up.
How, when and where do the back-ups occur and go?
Is there a documented procedure for how this is controlled?
Can you point to recovery drills/excercises and or a successfull restore?
Do you cover this in your own internal audit plans?

I can't tell you how many people get bitten on this one just becuase they hadn't verified what is actually done internally by IT. I also can't tell you how many companies have stacks of blank back-ups stored beacuse they never do restore drills and had no idea the automated system was failing.
Just a little head's up!

R

rexlee

We also have certain customers, who email us their special requirements. Normally we don't accept the verbal one, but really sometimes, customer will, then we will write back one email for confirmation, then file it as record.

Coury Ferguson

Moderator here to help
Trusted Information Resource
Cari Spears said:
We get email approvals for things all the time. We print the email out and put it in the job file.

Cari does the same as we do with Emails. Place a hard copies in the Job Folder and we have no problems with our registrar. Most emails now have the ability to electronically sign and that should be acceptable.

Coury Ferguson

Top Bottom