Combined ISO 9001, ISO 14001 and OHSAS 18001 Manual and System

P

patfee

I'm trying to develop a view on the possibility to develop a combined ISO 9001, ISO 14001 AND OHSAS 18001 manual or to develop the various system separately. As a company, we are ISO9001 already Certified and basically looking to expand our certification sceme / improve our organization.

Can use some advise here?!

Not sure if relevant, but we are a "subsea contracting" company providing vessel based diving, rov, survey services to oil companies. To provide there services we do design, engineering, manufacturing, maintenance, project management and obviously the actual offshore operations. Additionally we are vessel owners as such the ISM, SOLAS, ISPS requirements are applicable too.

Thanks for you thoughts!

Rgds
Patrick

Stijloor

Leader
Super Moderator
Re: Combined iso 9001, iso 14001 and ohsas 18001

I'm trying to develop a view on the possibility to develop a combined ISO 9001, ISO 14001 AND OHSAS 18001 manual or to develop the various system separately. As a company, we are ISO9001 already Certified and basically looking to expand our certification sceme / improve our organization.

Can use some advise here?!

Not sure if relevant, but we are a "subsea contracting" company providing vessel based diving, rov, survey services to oil companies. To provide there services we do design, engineering, manufacturing, maintenance, project management and obviously the actual offshore operations. Additionally we are vessel owners as such the ISM, SOLAS, ISPS requirements are applicable too.

Thanks for you thoughts!

Rgds
Patrick

Patrick,

Excellent idea! I agree with Randy. Here are the results "Integrated Quality Systems" of an advanced search on The Cove Forums.

Please come back, ask questions and/or help others. Welcome to The Cove! :bigwave:

Stijloor.

P

patfee

Thanks for the replies. This gives a good confirmation on the approach i had in mind!

And, thanks for the link randy! But there are some detailed processes and procedures missing.. any change there are copies available for my review? Just to have a starting point?

Thanks
Patrick

Randy

Super Moderator
Thanks for the replies. This gives a good confirmation on the approach i had in mind!

And, thanks for the link randy! But there are some detailed processes and procedures missing.. any change there are copies available for my review? Just to have a starting point?

Thanks
Patrick

Like what's missing? A manual only has to reference procedures, not contain them.

Patricia Ravanello

Quite Involved in Discussions

Thanks
Patrick

Hi Patfee...

Just a word of caution, and some observations... the linked "Integrated" System in this thread is not integrated in the true sense. They have separate Quality, Environmental and Health and Safety Policies...that's not integrated to me. They repeat the same requirements in all the policies rather than integrating them into one.

Further, in their "Process Flow Diagram" they don't even include their Environmental or Health and Safety Procedures, which are listed among their 27 procedures. I also find it strange that the process identified in the "Process Flow Diagram" don't align with what they have in their "Procedures" listing. Example, they mention "Management Review" in the diagram, but there is no "Management Review Procedure".

What they have is three separate systems, housed under one roof or Manual...I'm not sure if that's what you're looking for, but, it's definitely not integrated. In general, this is not a good model to follow.

While I'm at it...I don't think the Manual should be written in the "future tense".
Example:
"A review of the IMS shall be carried out, with senior management present, at least annually to evaluate the continued suitability, adequacy, and effectiveness of the management system."
It sounds like they will do it, but they're not doing it right now. Equally offensive are Manuals written in several tenses as this one is.

While it may appear that I'm offering more criticism than help, I just wanted to alert you before you begin on this path. I have some samples of another "integrated approach"...I'll post them when I get a chance. However, if the link provides what you're looking for, I won't bother.

Patricia Ravanello

Patricia Ravanello

Patfee,

The previous link may well be considered by some to provide an "integrated approach" to a Business Operating System. I don't consider it to be.

I've attached an example of a Policy Statement which, to me, "integrates" the requirements of ISO/TS 16949, ISO 14001 and MMOG (Materials Management) into a singular document (Page 6 of attachment).

My approach is somewhat like baking a cake.​

First...identify and isolate all the ingredients/components/requirements that have to be included (Pages 3, 4 and 5 of attachment).

Second...Provide the ingredients to Senior Management to help guide them in defining a Policy Statement that includes all the ingredients without being redundant.

Third...Review and edit the document to ensure compliance.

Fourth...Submit for final Management Review and approval​

Similarly, when writing your procedures...you have to integrate the environmental requirements and/or health and safety into all your procedures...not create separate procedures (as suggested in the link).

This may not be the approach you're seeking, but it gives you another way to look at it.

Patricia Ravanello

Attachments

• Integrated Policy Statement .pdf
    77.5 KB · Views: 1,168

Patricia Ravanello

And here's a sample of an Integrated "Internal Audit Procedure".

Please note that the yellow, green and red boxes which identify the associated elements of each "standard/requirement", are not a mandatory part of the flow chart. They have been added to demonstrate how the integration is achieved and verified.

Patricia Ravanello

Attachments

• Integrated Internal Audit Procedure .pdf
    27 KB · Views: 2,307
P

patfee

After a little thought i have to agree with Patricia. The Canyon Manual is similar to what we currently have in our company. Although the 18001 and 14001 systems are not officially certified (only ISO), they are contained (to some extend) by the Management Manual. Specially the Occupational Health and Safety part, as this is certified as these parts are certified against the "Safety, Health and Environmental Checklist Contractors" requirements (www vca nl).

Now the key question is obviously, which system would be serving best? The trully integrated system or the three systems housed under one roof?

Time / Engergy wise, i would go for the one roof system, but the trully integrated system would be the most "clear" and efficient (business wise) approach i guess?

Thanks
PAtrick

Top Bottom