How to determine if a Standard is Auditable

G

gavinjordan

Hi,

I hope this is in the right forum!

Two questions in one:

How can you quickly tell if an ISO standard is an auditable standard? Is the scope the best - e.g. ISO 9004 states it is not intended for certification in that part. But it is not always this clear.

Second question, can you make reference to a non-auditable standard within the scope of certification for an auditable standard (i.e include reference to meeting the requirements of a code of practice or guidance note)? I take it as a given you cannot refer to meeting the requirements of an auditable standard through auditing a different auditable standard.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Gavin

R

Reg Morrison

Re: Auditable Standards

The best way to recognize if a standard is "auditable" and "certifiable" is to see if it contains REQUIREMENTS or not. Normally the title of the standard will designate if it is a requirements standard or not.

The idea is that "requirements" can be assessed for conformity or not, while guidance standards such as ISO 9004, ISO 10002, ISO 14004, etc. contain guidance, which is not as readily "verifiable".

As for the practice of listing standards in the scope of certification, for the most part, it is a gimmick, a loophole.

For example, if someone issues an ISO 9001 certificate stating that the QMS was found to comply with OHSAS 18001, it is an obvious attempt to circumvent the fact the auditor/registrar is not qualified to issue OHSAS 18001 certificates. Otherwise, why would they do it? OHSAS 18001 has nothing to do with a QMS.

If you give more specific details, maybe we can offer more comments.

G

gavinjordan

Hi Reg

I mentioned that I took it as a given that you cant/should not include an auditable standard like 18001 within an audit of another standard.

But what about Codes of Practice that are not in themselves auditable standards. I have seen meeting the requirement of BS EN 15713:2009 referred to in the certification scope of an organisation on their ISO 9001 certificate. How do you feel about that? [FONT=19Ef22bCenturySchoolbook,Bold][FONT=19Ef22bCenturySchoolbook,Bold]
[/FONT][/FONT]

G

gavinjordan

Hi Reg,

Thanks - I never twigged this. Doh! I've just checked and you are absolutely right - it is clearly there in the title of the auditable standards!!! Cheers

Gavin

T

t.PoN

Re: How to determine if a standard is auditable ?

I completely agree with Reg, and I hate to add any confusion but here it is:
You still can be certified according to ISO guideline such as ISO 10002 ....click here.

If the customer agrees on applying the guideline, you can still audit the BS.

Marcelo

Inactive Registered Visitor

Auditable and certifiable are two different things.

If we use the definitions from ISO 19011 that an audit looks for evidence to compare against audit criteria, and audit criteria are policies, procedures and requirements, a lot of things are auditable, including all standards as they can be equated to policies or procedures, even the ones not having requirements.

Certifiable...this depends on certification schemes.

Last edited:
T

t.PoN

:eek:
Thats why i love this forum, something new to learn

Top Bottom