Quality training through tests/quiz style approach

M

MarkySan

Hello folks,

Great forum.Lots of great information and help when required.

I was actually wondering if anyone knows of any sites that test your quality knowledge – practice and/or theory?You know - like quiz or questionnaire style – aid to learning?I used to do simple ones in a previous company, and it was amazing how people remembered things better through little events like this?

Ones that test knowledge a individuals standards, quality tools, etc.They’d be pretty good?

Don’t shoot me down if it sounds at all silly :0

qusys

Trusted Information Resource
Hi MarkySan,
the way you are speaking of could be one of the ( several) methods to verify the effectiveness of the formation/training for the affected personnel in training delivery and quality awareness.
It is a common practice that I saw in various organization...

PS: welcome on board :) :bigwave: and contribute to thi precious forum with your experience and ideas sharing

M

Moonlight17

Hi MarkySan,:bigwave:
We produce a questionnaire and distribute it annually on all compliance issues (Quality, Environmental, Health & Safety, Human Resource and Information Security)
It has very basic questions which we believe all staff should know, so it may not be what you are looking for. All the staff complete this and we set a benchmark of acheivement. Those that do not acheive the bench mark are invited to further awareness sessions.:sleep:
We change them/mix up the quesitons every year so they remain relevant.
I think I have posted this here in the past, but have attached it again.

Attachments

• Copy of 2014 Compliance Questions .pdf
    31.4 KB · Views: 386
K

kgott

I think the concept you have hit is great. It would be particularly useful in my area where people in the engineering and resource industry are heavily inundated with inductions and training courses on every job they go on.

M

MarkySan

Thank you for the warm welcome folks - much appreciate that.

I'll certainly be on more often and share any useful knowledge I have.

Many thanks,
Mark

RoxaneB

Change Agent and Data Storyteller
Super Moderator
Hello folks,

I was actually wondering if anyone knows of any sites that test your quality knowledge ? practice and/or theory?You know - like quiz or questionnaire style ? aid to learning?I used to do simple ones in a previous company, and it was amazing how people remembered things better through little events like this?

Ones that test knowledge a individuals standards, quality tools, etc.They?d be pretty good?

Don?t shoot me down if it sounds at all silly :0

Quizzes and tests are one of several means to 'aid learning'. However, what is the TRUE desired outcome of the learning? Is it a passed test or is it a competent employee?

Not shooting you down, nor is it silly, but it is important to recognize that adults - like children in the educational system - do not all learn best (or perform their best) under test conditions. I, for one, loathe tests and exams. I blank out. I panic. But if you were to ask me to demonstrate something, I'm much more at ease.

Quizzes and tests capture one moment in time. Ongoing demonstration of comptency shows consistency in conforming (and nonconforming) activities.

There are courses out there - and material available - that discuss how to teach adults in a manner that resonates with them and how adults learn. You may gain some new insight that is innovative for your organization.

RoxaneB

Change Agent and Data Storyteller
Super Moderator
Further to my thoughts above, what happens if an individual fails the test? Or if a large number of people fail the test?

There are ways to pass the test - some more ethical than others - but does anyone in your organization look at training material content and 'knowledge transfer methodology' on an ongoing basis to ensure that it is suitable to your employees? This goes beyond ensuring you're training on the most recent procedure or piece of legislation. This entails reviewing the format and structure and flow so that the material resonates with the employees.

Another concern is what constitutes "learning"? Is this the ability of an individual to recall a definition or a term? Or is it more about comprehension and application?

What if English (or the language of the business) is not the individual's first language? What if the individual has a learning challenge (e.g., dyslexia)? These are a couple of examples that may impeded an employee's ability to perform well on a quiz or test.

The other concern I have with quizzes and tests is any "pass" mark that is not 100%. After all, out on the shop floor or in the service world, will we honestly say 70% of conforming behaviour is acceptable? If I check into a hotel and my room is only 70% "done up", is that a "pass"? Probably not. Why should a quiz or test be any different?

For what it is worth, when I do internal auditor training there is an exam with a "pass" mark. BUT, here's the kicker, with each participant after I have marked their final exam, we have a face-to-face (and heart-to-heart) about their responses (especially the ones that are not the most suitable or appropriate). I like to understand their reasoning behind their respones. This may result in my training material (and method) being modified, or their score revised, or maybe nothing at all (except for a correction on their understanding)...but it's a good discussion to have.

I realize that I probably sound like I'm anti-quiz or anti-test. In reality, I am not. They can be used to perhaps demonstate that someone truly did read a revised procedure or sit through a module on new piece of legislation. However, I really hope that organizations recognize the limitations of this approach and find other, more value-added, means to assess if employees are truly learning - and applying - the desired information.

normzone

Trusted Information Resource
Good points made. Effectiveness of training can be verified by question and answer style tests, but also by observation.

Your approach on the internal auditor training reminds me of the bar exam - it's reputed to be graded not so much on your answers but by how you develop your logic and your argument.

Q

QA_chick

Hello folks,

I was actually wondering if anyone knows of any sites that test your quality knowledge ? practice and/or theory?You know - like quiz or questionnaire style ? aid to learning?I used to do simple ones in a previous company, and it was amazing how people remembered things better through little events like this?

Ones that test knowledge a individuals standards, quality tools, etc.They?d be pretty good?

Don?t shoot me down if it sounds at all silly :0

Hi there - in response to your question, no, I am not aware of any sites that test the type of knowledge you are referring to.

As a former music teacher, I have to say that Roxane makes several good points. I can't tell you how many times, during an audit, an employee recited the QP back to me but had no clue what it meant. Having said that, using quizzes has helped me refine my content and delivery style (I still do training as part of my current role) - if several trainees miss a particular answer, it's a pretty good indication that I was unclear or needed to spend more time on a particular point. If an entire group failed? Oh boy, we got bigger problems then... LOL

At any rate, if you decide to develop such a tool, try using a free service like SurveyMonkey to distribute your questionnaires, especially if you have remote trainees.

Lisa

Top Bottom