No findings from External Audit - Should I be worried?

C

ChrissieO

This is very un-nerving.:mg:

We are a remote location for our European Automotive Division, providing warehousing and distribution within the UK and Europe.

As the UK Distribution Centre for a large global company we are not talking about sending out the odd box of 1 particular product but 100s of various stock numbers to all the major OEMs across Europe.

After 11 years of being the "responsible adult" for our TS16949 certification on this site we had our first totally clean bill of health yesterday in our annual CB audit.

So being a true sceptic and a person that openly welcomes most deviations and views them as an opportunity to improve, I am I am now in a rather dazed :confused:state as this has never happened before...................should I worry or just enjoy the feeling :rolleyes:

Chrissie

RoxaneB

Change Agent and Data Storyteller
Super Moderator
Re: No findings from external audit...should I be worried?

Enjoy the feeling! In fact, I'd consider a celebration or recognition of some sort for everyone. A bit of positive news is always appreciated, especially in light of the global economy. :rar:

Now you can start looking at other improvements to the system...
  • Expanding it beyond production and the basic requirements (if not already done so).
  • Making it lean.
  • Kaizen events - more operator involvement.
  • Improved KPI results.

With no paperwork to fill in for the external auditors, you've free rein now to do what you want to do with the system. :D

C

Chance

I agree with RC...celebrate the success with employees.

IMHO, I would also analyze why there was no finding. First, it is a solid proof that your QMS meet the minimum requirements of the standard. No problem! Second, I would also examine the kind of effort and skill the auditor has shown. Did you find him very determined during the audit making sure that he is doing what he is supposed to do? Did he/she met your audit expectations? Not lazy? Did he/she go out there and make their hands dirty? If they did what they are supposed to do, then you all must be proud of this accomplishment.

C

ChrissieO

I agree with RC...celebrate the success with employees.

IMHO, I would also analyze why there was no finding. First, it is a solid proof that your QMS meet the minimum requirements of the standard. No problem! Second, I would also examine the kind of effort and skill the auditor has shown. Did you find him very determined during the audit making sure that he is doing what he is supposed to do? Did he/she met your audit expectations? Not lazy? Did he/she go out there and make their hands dirty? If they did what they are supposed to do, then you all must be proud of this accomplishment.

I have 12 years experience of CB auditors and have come across in all shapes and sizes and with varying degrees of ability. I would say he did his job well and certainly not lazy, we didnt finish until 7pm in the evening with a 9.30am start.

So guess I just have to take it on the chin and pat myself and the team on the back :agree1:

C

Manix

Get Involved!!!
Trusted Information Resource

All valid points so far. One thing you should avoid is becoming complacent. AS already mentioned, ensure from your own standards (not just meeting ISO) you are you happy with how the company operates. Identify further improvement, think beyond the standard and perhaps begin to embrace excellence concepts (maybe you already have!?).

There's always room for improvement and by no means is a CB audit a determination of a company's overall well being.

This said, do enjoy it and ensure your efforts are recgonised by those in charge of your company. A BIG well done to you and your team :applause:

AndyN

Moved On
If I understand the TS requirements for Auditor Qualifications, then I'd hope they were astute enough to be able to audit effectively. Particularly, since the SMMT provide the IATF oversight and I know those guys know "their stuff". Chrissie - did you notice anything you feel the auditor should have at least stopped to question? They were oblivious to any issues?

If not, then it sounds like it went well for you...:agree1:

C

ChrissieO

If I understand the TS requirements for Auditor Qualifications, then I'd hope they were astute enough to be able to audit effectively. Particularly, since the SMMT provide the IATF oversight and I know those guys know "their stuff". Chrissie - did you notice anything you feel the auditor should have at least stopped to question? They were oblivious to any issues?

If not, then it sounds like it went well for you...:agree1:

Previously we used a German CB who would send someone over as the Certificate is alligned to one of our Plants in Germany. We have now moved to another CB and are using Auditors local to our various plants.

I felt he was more in tune with our business and accepted us for what we do "We Shift Boxes" (but we do it very well:lol:) previous TS auditors, from the German CB, had tried to over complicate things an other things get lost in traslaton.

As you know Andy, we have a very mature QMS, I have worked very hard on it (and the management team:notme:) this lastfew years to go above and beyond the requirements of 9001 and to allign where relevant to TS.

I am certainly not complacent and think our QMS is by any means perfect, I think all management systems are "Work In Progress" and never complete but finaly with TS we have reached a level where we can go forward and improve.

The bad news is, I have heard our UK Division of Aerospace are now going to go for AS9100 so no rest for me but I am going to go home, put my feet up and open a bottle of wine and worry about learning all about flying tin thingies next week.:agree1:

Chrissie

Randy

Super Moderator
I'd be scared to death, and wouldn't want to be in your shoes. Either that or you had incredibly good lunches.

Naaaaaaaaaa, don't sweat it. Based on his sample everything was OK. Keep up to good work and one more thing

MAINTAIN THE GAIN!

Top Bottom