List of NCR (NonConformance Report) Defect Cause & Corrective Action Codes

W

wslabey

We are developing an on-line non-conformance reporting (NCR) system to capture all defects found, their root cause and corrective action. We need to assign and insert codes for defects, causes and corrective actions to make the data usable to spot trends and systemic problems.

Our industry is automotive.

Our company does CNC machining, injection molding, blow molding, painting and some low volume assembly.

REQUEST
The first NCR system implementation is in the machining area. Does anybody have a reasonably sized list of defect, cause & corrective action codes they could post here? I need to populate the database / library of each section of the NCR system.

Last edited by a moderator:

CarolX

Trusted Information Resource
I moved your thread to the this board where you may get a better response.

W

wslabey

CarolX said:
I moved your thread to the this board where you may get a better response.

I did think I might have posted in the wrong place. I was trying to avoid all the NCR threads on audit NC's. This system is for part defects from making widgets.

Caster

An Early Cover
Trusted Information Resource
wslabey said:
Does anybody have a reasonably sized list of defect, cause & corrective action codes they could post here? I need to populate the database / library of each section of the NCR system.

Wslabey

Here is all I could quickly find ( about 15 slides in)

***DEAD LINK REMOVED*** Quest Design Structure

This is bugging me - somewhere I recall seeing a massive list...but I can't think where..perhaps Jurans Handbook?

At my last job (fiber optics) they had build a huge NCR system in Lotus Notes. There were hundreds of defect codes, and hundreds of root causes.

The defect codes were useful for Pareto analyis, but the root cause codes were useless, there were too many, most of them were symptoms.

One idea would be to set up your system to allow new codes to be defined on the fly. This would let you start with a very few codes and let users define/propose new ones on the fly.

Then every so often, you could look at the data and either accept the code or change it to an existing code.

We are presently working on corrective actions and they are hardest of all, a subject matter expert is needed. Most of ours tend to be so vague as to be useless e.g. "adjust and recheck".

Good luck with this, if I find anything else I'll post it.

M

M Greenaway

I have also operated a system with fault codes and cause codes, and also found the cause codes to be wooly and of little use for analysis.

I would suggest brainstorming a cause and effect diagram, and that should give you all your potential failure modes.

A

alekra

NCR data bank

I´ve been trying to resume all the NCR of 2005 in my job in an Excel file. The root causes and the NC have already codes, but unfortunately all of these information, added to some other that we need to registar in this file are increasing so much that I´m afraid that Excel won´t be enough for what I wanted...
Maybe only in Access or in an spencial software...

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
Beware of too many defect codes. You may end up with people having problems classifying many defects.

I can't remember off hand whether there is an Access nonconformance database posted here in the forums or not.

A

alekra

The Access File

I´ve saved the access files that I´ve seen once in the cove, but I couldn´t attached them (maybe they are too big). One is for customer complaint and the other for internal audit. My question is: what would be the ideal way to see the whole NCRs without encoding them? I use an Excel file, and I use codes because each description of cause or NC is different. So, if we want to use Excel filter or dinamic functions, the fewer words is the easier way, isn´t it?

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
Many companies use defect codes because they want to be able classify, trend and analyze defects. Trying to use a description and filter could be problematic - e.g.: What search (filter) word(s) would you use.

The closest I would come would be to have a 'detail description' as a field in each database record. I do this in billing statements. I have a general item code field but I also have a 'Detail' field where I can put in details.

A

alekra

Could you give an example, Marc (or anyone else)?
Thank you very much!
Alekra

Top Bottom