Nonconforming Products in the context of ISO 22000

K

Ka Pilo

In the context of ISO 22000, nonconforming products are products that are potentially unsafe. They are potentially unsafe because they were produced or manufactured during a period when critical limits were violated or exceeded or when an organization has lost control of a prerequisite program (PRP) or an operational prerequisite program (OPRP).

The definition is crystal clear. However, my boss wants me is to state what causes / what are non-conforming specifically in the line. She said that one may think that a drop of saliva on the food may not be non-conforming that they can just wash the portion affected – same with those contaminated by the blood due to occupational accident.

I didn’t get what she meant by we need to state it clearly. Do I have to make a list of nonconforming products? If so, that would be too many.
:mg:

Last edited by a moderator:
T

tsmith7858

In the context of ISO 22000, nonconforming products are products that are potentially unsafe. They are potentially unsafe because they were produced or manufactured during a period when critical limits were violated or exceeded or when an organization has lost control of a prerequisite program (PRP) or an operational prerequisite program (OPRP).

The definition is crystal clear. However, my boss wants me is to state what causes / what are non-conforming specifically in the line. She said that one may think that a drop of saliva on the food may not be non-conforming that they can just wash the portion affected – same with those contaminated by the blood due to occupational accident.

I didn’t get what she meant by we need to state it clearly. Do I have to make a list of nonconforming products? If so, that would be too many.

Putting it on hold as non-conforming should be the same regardless.
You should always identify the exact issue that caused the non-conformance so that it can be reviewed and resolved.

It is the disposition that may be different (rewash vs disposal).

As for a list of non-conforming products, you should always maintain a list of what is non-conforming or have some method of tracking it through resolution. If the list is to large, than you have plenty of issues that need to be resolved!

K

Ka Pilo

As for a list of non-conforming products, you should always maintain a list of what is non-conforming or have some method of tracking it through resolution. If the list is to large, than you have plenty of issues that need to be resolved!
This should be covered by hazard analysis, right? Since they failed to consider such things that could be expected to cause harm, I am not sure if generic statement from Handling of Potentially Unsafe Product Procedure suffice in dealing nonconforming products.

A

AS Nur

one of Pillars ISO 22000 is PRP, and PRP as same as with Good Manufacturing process ( GMP). one pillar of GMP is personnel hygiene, that include hygiene practices of people in production area, so to avoid any saliva or blood drop to food they must use proper wear such as masker, gloves etc. So.. if that GMP not properly practice, your ISO 22000 system is not proper automatically..

that's my opinion, hope can make you clear and you can explain to your boss

rgds

AS NUR

Last edited by a moderator:
P

pldey42

State it clearly to whom?

Does she mean, perhaps, that "nonconforming products are products that are potentially unsafe. They are potentially unsafe because they were produced or manufactured during a period when critical limits were violated or exceeded or when an organization has lost control of a prerequisite program (PRP) or an operational prerequisite program (OPRP)" is too difficult for production people to understand?

Would she perhaps be happy with a definition in language that ordinary people can understand, together with a few examples of common mistakes like believing that since saliva or blood can be washed away, it's ok when it's not? (If so, it may be that some kind of background education for people is required because a definition and some examples in a quality procedure may not be enough to change behaviour.)

Hope this helps,
Pat

P

patriot19472001

Dear Charu,

Please consider ISO 22002-1 (Pre-Requisite Programmes on Food Safety: Food Manufacturing Part-1).

Hope it works.

Regards,

Ghulam Mustafa

Top Bottom