Non-conforming product = Scrap???

L

LHJRISO

If the product or components are non-conforming and can't ever be re-worked or salvaged, why not just scrap them? What's the point of a non-conforming area? Did I just answer my own question again?

B

Bobh@pte

The point of the area is to quarantine until disposition is determined.
Separate from the good stuff - make sure it doesn't get to the customer.

Q

qualeety

If the product or components are non-conforming and can't ever be re-worked or salvaged, why not just scrap them? What's the point of a non-conforming area? Did I just answer my own question again?

you are good...:cool:

however, your gabage can be someone else's treasure....before you scrap them, you should search for other buyers/usages...remember, it is costly to throw the scrap in the landfill.

btw, what are you throwing away?

SteelMaiden

Super Moderator
Trusted Information Resource
you are good...:cool:

however, your gabage can be someone else's treasure....before you scrap them, you should search for other buyers/usages...remember, it is costly to throw the scrap in the landfill.

btw, what are you throwing away?

just for the record, just because the op is "scrapping" nonconforming material that cannot be reworked (and i assume it cannot be downgraded) it does not necessarily mean that it is going to a landfill. Many operations take scrap and re-use it as raw material for new batches. (chopped up, melted down, etc.) One would hope that the poster's organization has looked into all methods of disposal, including selling scrapped parts as-is, which is part of that "down-grading" or selling secondary, or whatever their industry calls it.

Bev D

Heretical Statistician
Leader
Super Moderator
The point of the area is to quarantine until disposition is determined.
Separate from the good stuff - make sure it doesn't get to the customer.

and to execute the dispositon.
until 'scrap' is actually physically disposed of or rendered useless the material is still available for dumpster diving.

and for some industries (aerospace and defense) the part can't be simply put in a dumpster; it has to be rendered useless.

Helmut Jilling

Auditor / Consultant

The point of an NC hold area is for NC product that has not already been determined to be scrap. Once you decide it is scrap, there is no need to put it on NC hold status.

However, the other comments about dumpster diving and recyling should also be considered.

qcman

Registered Visitor
I find myself using the term non conforming when I really should be saying suspect material. It really is suspected of being non conforming until it's verified as non conforming. Once found to be NC it then is determined if it can be reworked/reformed into conforming material. If it can not be brought into conformance it is then sold (aluminum extrusions)as scrap.

E

Eyelids

If we cut off the leads or terminals of an electronic component, have we off satisfactorily rendered the component useless per 8.3 of AS9100C?

Bev D

Heretical Statistician
Leader
Super Moderator
not if the connection can be recreated by splicing a connection back on. smash it; drill a hole through it...something to render it impossible not just difficult.

Top Bottom