QSi Document Control Module and Documentation (examples requested)

M

Margie Trueland

Hello All,

We are in the process of installing QSi. We are beginning with the Doc Control module and are currently in the process of setting standards regarding the drop down lists for Document type, areas, etc. Our next step is that we will have someone begin loading our existing controlled documents into QSi. Does anyone have a Procedure or WI already in place for moving existing documents into the system? I will of course have to set our own standards, etc. but would like to review any instructions that anyone is willing to share. This would assist me in ensuring that I have covered all the bases from those who have already performed this exercise....so any lessons learned or documented instruction would be valuable to me at this phase of implementation.

V

Valeri

Margie,

I can't send you the entire training manual we use for the database, but have extracted some of the pages and included the cheat sheets we used several years ago when setting up the database. If you have further questions, please PM me and we can discuss via emails.

Attachments

• Document Control.pdf
    1 MB · Views: 2,803
C

Craig H.

Valerie,

If I had only known you had this a few years ago... Excellent procedure!

I can add, though, that NOW is the time to decide things like what the standard font and font size are going to be, which logos you will use, etc. so that the documents have a consistent look.

Also, are you, Margie, going to be the only person entering these documents? If so, I would not bother including you as an approver for most documents. You will be the one maintaining them for the most part anyway.

Also, for forms control documents I put a .pdf attachment of the actual document in the Associated Files section so that they can be easily printed (this is for forms that you use on actual paper).

Hope this helps.

M

Margie Trueland

Thanks Craig. I will not be the only person entering documents. We are implementing QSi across 3 sites. Only 1 site is currently certified. We will move the existing controlled docs into the system prior to creating any new docs. Eventually various departments at various sites will have the ability to create new docs. Based on this, setting standards, is a huge task. Thanks for your feedback!

C

Craig H.

I almost forgot, and this might be CRITICAL.

You should build your list of employees and their training requirements BEFORE entering procedures. Otherwise your training system will be FUBARed (Fouled Up Beyond All Repair). If you are going to use this feature it is quite important. Trust me.

V

Valeri

I almost forgot, and this might be CRITICAL.

You should build your list of employees and their training requirements BEFORE entering procedures. Otherwise your training system will be FUBARed (Fouled Up Beyond All Repair). If you are going to use this feature it is quite important. Trust me.

ABSOLUTELY CORRECT:agree1:

The system was put in a few years before I came to work here and they did not follow this step. We now have such a mess, it can't be resolved. Thus my caveat in the SOP "...maintains appropriate records in the employee training database and/or the employee training file." This gives the plants the authority to use (or not) the database.

Ten years ago in a previous life, I worked through the QSI implementation and found this to be one of the toughest databases, then comes the "product catalog"!!!

M

Margie Trueland

Our intent was to load all the current docs - which training has already been completed on.... then in the future start to utilize the training module for only documents created after that module is implementeed. We would use our current training system to support anything prior. Will this be an issue? IBS knows our implementation plan and has not advised of any potential issues....

C

curryassassin

Hey Guys,

How good is this system? What are the advantages? How much did it cost? How much effort is required? Did you validate?

C

Craig H.

Our intent was to load all the current docs - which training has already been completed on.... then in the future start to utilize the training module for only documents created after that module is implementeed. We would use our current training system to support anything prior. Will this be an issue? IBS knows our implementation plan and has not advised of any potential issues....

Margie, you are setting yourself up for a HUGEMONGOUS headache if you are planning at some point to use the training module exclusively for your training records. Why PLAN to have training records in 2 places? PLEASE consider building your empolyee database first.

C

Craig H.

Hey Guys,

How good is this system? What are the advantages? How much did it cost? How much effort is required? Did you validate?

As I have said in another thread, if you want cheap and easy, forget this software. It is not incredibly expensive, especially if you are already using Lotus Notes, but it is not just a couple hundred bucks, either. It is complicated, but if you are doing ISO 9001, take a look at all of the related systems in their totality and that is kind of complicated, too.

Setting it up is an ordeal, simply because of the volume of stuff you have to move. However, if you are in the situation I was in as far as procedures go (paper-based with 3 ring binders (yuck)) the resultant ease of maintenance is worth it, just for this one significant boost in convenience.

So, if you are one of my competitors, STAY AWAY FROM THIS PRODUCT!

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom