FDA Classification for Medical Device Power Adaptors (Power Supplies)

Y

yarina

Hi All,

Anybody know how the medical adaptor (power supply) be supervised by FDA?
Does medical adaptor (power supply) be included in the defination of medical device?

I have checked the database of classification from the FDA website, however, there is not suitable classification for power supply, I wonder if this device is supervised by FDA?
:thanx:

Stijloor

Leader
Super Moderator
Hi All,

Does medical adaptor (power supply) be included in the defination of medical device?

I have checked the database of classification from the FDA website, however, there is not suitable classification for power supply, I wonder if this device is supervised by FDA?

Another quick bump....

Ronen E

Problem Solver
Hi All,

2 clarification questions:

1. Is this power adaptor sold (placed on the market) on its own, or as part of a system / another device?

2. Is this adaptor intended specifically for a certain device? If so, does this device have alternative adaptors available on the market?

J

JohnJohnson

2 clarification questions:

1. Is this power adaptor sold (placed on the market) on its own, or as part of a system / another device?

2. Is this adaptor intended specifically for a certain device? If so, does this device have alternative adaptors available on the market?

These follow up questions will help us understand the scenario. We are unable to supply further comments for the original question on FDA Classification for this power adaptor. However, if you really would like to get better understanding on FDA classification for this particular product, you can rely to link removed as I have seen they can answer your question. Hope it helps. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Y

yarina

This adaptor will sold on its own, it is supposed to be used for other medical devices with proper specifications. It is not for certain device.

Y

yarina

Thanks JohnJohnson, however, the website you pasted can not be opened.

Ronen E

Problem Solver
This adaptor will sold on its own, it is supposed to be used for other medical devices with proper specifications. It is not for certain device.

Then I currently see no reason to classify it as a medical device, or an accessory to one; as such it would not be subject to FDA regulation.

What makes it "medical"?

M

murena

The classification rules are nor very clear for specific items.

From experience, I can tell you that if an item, in this case the power adapter, is essential for the whole medical device to achieve its main therapeutic purpose, then the power adaptor is part of the medical device.

Not a medical device per se, but part of the medical device, and as such, should be considered at least at a system level for risk management, V&V and manufacturing controls. Even if it is an off-the-shelf item, a safe approach to avoid regulatory challenges would be that.

I hope this helps.

Top Bottom