Customer Complaint Preventive Action Assistance

Plegreid

Registered
Ran into a little problem conducting 8d analysis

Here is the basic Verbiage:

Problem Description:
Customer complaint, Part number Xxxx. Paint on parts is not properly adhered, Parts fail hatch testing.

Root Cause:
Scale left from Heat treating hinders the paint from properly adhering.

Corrective Action:
Add Vibro Deburr to part routing after heat treat and before paint.

Preventive Action:
?

How do I prevent Heat Treat Scale from the parts?
I have talked with my heat treat rep, he has informed me it?s the nature of the beast.

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Leader
Admin
Re: Preventive Action Assistance

Using the ISO 9000 definitions of corrective and preventive action, you CAN'T have a preventive action for an existing problem. At best, you could assess if the same problem could be happening in similar products, i.e., other than the P/N that was listed for this nonconformity, and implement the same fix, EVEN if other part numbers have not had this type of problem reported.
You can also use the "lesson learned" when developing the traveler/router for future products that would be painted after heat treatment.

Mikishots

Trusted Information Resource
Ran into a little problem conducting 8d analysis

Here is the basic Verbiage:

Problem Description:
Customer complaint, Part number Xxxx. Paint on parts is not properly adhered, Parts fail hatch testing.

Root Cause:
Scale left from Heat treating hinders the paint from properly adhering.

Corrective Action:
Add Vibro Deburr to part routing after heat treat and before paint.

Preventive Action:
?

How do I prevent Heat Treat Scale from the parts?
I have talked with my heat treat rep, he has informed me it?s the nature of the beast.

There is no preventive action - that's reserved for possible occurrences (something that can happen but hasn't yet). Based on your info, you can't prevent scale, but you have a correction in place (vibro deburr).

Root cause methodology states that if you identify something that you cannot fix, then it's not acceptable as a root cause. BTW, do you use an atmospheric purge additive, like ammonium tetrafluoroborate that's used for aluminum?

M

Mike_H

I agree with Sidney+Mikishots:

*Preventive is proactive/before the fact
*Corrective is reactive/after the fact

If, as you say, scales are inherent in meeting the specification for H/T: you corrected your process plan to add Vibro-Deburr, but you may want to also look back at your Validation of Processes (sect 7.5.2) to see if it missed this in the initial production run of this part. Has paint adhesion always been a problem, but missed up until now?

A Preventive action might lead you to review/revise your Paint Inspection process...before it allows other nonconforming products to be delivered to your customer. Just a thought....

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom