Total Productive Maintenance vs. Lean, Six sigma, Business Process Reengineering, etc

Mikael

Quite Involved in Discussions
Hi

I am looking for some materiale or explanation for how to distinct TPM from Lean, Six sigma, Business Process Reengineering, Total Quality Management, Supply chain mannagement, logistics.

Though especially lean and six sigma.

Bev D

Heretical Statistician
Leader
Super Moderator
Re: Total Productive Maintenance vs. Lean, Six sigma, Business Process Reengineering,

well the definitions of each provide the distinction, so I'm not quite sure what your confusion is? perhaps you could elaborate?

in the meantime I can provide this distinction:

TPM is a method of equipment maintenance whose ultimate goal is to prevent equipment failures. It can be deployed by itself but it is an integral methodology of both a Lean and a Six Sigma program.

Lean has as its focus the removal of defects/errors from all processes the elimination of other wastes such as excess inventory and overproduction in order to increase capacity and flexibility and improves the customer experience. It's tools and methods are primarily aimed at people processes.

Six Sigma is focused on the elimination and prevention of (primarily) physics based defects and errors in order to gain revolutionary improvements in quality, which also enables the reduction of waste and improves the customer experience.

TQM is the precursor 'name' for the things we now call lean and six sigma.

Business Process re-engineering is another incarnation of Lean only directed primarily at non-manufacturing processes. (some people think of Lean as only a manufacturing thing)

supply chain management is a broad term covering how we manage both our suppliers and our customer interface processes although many think of it only in terms of the supplier side of the 'chain'. this covers every thing from ordering to buying and planning, shipping and billing and getting paid.

Logistics is a specific subset of supply chain management and deals with the packaging and shipping of materials (inbound) and product (outbound)

hope this helps.

Mikael

Re: Total Productive Maintenance vs. Lean, Six sigma, Business Process Reengineering,

:topic: ah ****, moderaters can this be fixed I just wrote a response, then it says not login, I log in and then I must start over again.
(I will be back with a new response later)

Last edited:

AndyN

Moved On

I'm sorry, I don't understand the question - or the fact you then answered it, (in part).

TPM isn't anything to do with any of those things you listed - with the exception of Lean, because classically, TPM is part of the Toyota Production System (aka Lean).

There's no comparison - because they are different genus. Like TPM is apples, 6 Sigma is carrots, TQM are forks. Do they have anything in common - yes people use them. As far as I know or have experienced (I have all of them) you won't find what you're looking for because why would anyone compare apples, carrots and forks?

Mikael

Bev D: thx and sorry for not being specific. I am looking for some kind of graphic representation to give the overview.

Is the definitions by own hand or ?

"integral methodology of", plz what does that mean, I think I read somewhere that TPM is basic for Lean?

I thought that TQM was just fill with cheap overall management clich?? So more focus on a management, but have no real specific (statistical) tools?

Concerning Lean and BRP, I thought that lean was only a kaizen approach = "improvements", where BRP do radical fundamental change?

I do think of lean as related to only production, and I do think of Lean as the original narrow concept related to specific inventory approach (JIT) and/or a SCM concept that include the perspective of value for end customers. Though I think today everything that have a touch of optimization busines people call Lean.

What you call logistic is in my world, if I got you right, what I call internal logistics.

Mikael

AndyN: Well I did ask about how to distinct it, I am sorry if that is a stupid Q.

After I did the post I accidentally found the link I posted, so I though I might as well share it. Yes it have some tables that could help to distinct them, but I though that perhaps some kind of scatter plot or alike could be made?

AndyN

Moved On

AndyN: Well I did ask about how to distinct it, I am sorry if that is a stupid Q.

After I did the post I accidentally found the link I posted, so I though I might as well share it. Yes it have some tables that could help to distinct them, but I though that perhaps some kind of scatter plot or alike could be made?

It's not stupid question! But to analyze them expecting some correlation is, in my experience, a futile exercise. About the only thing in common is the empowerment of people to control a process.

Bev D

Heretical Statistician
Leader
Super Moderator

I am looking for some kind of graphic representation to give the overview.
I don't have one, but I have found that if you try to make your own, it helps you to better understand the concepts.

Is the definitions by own hand or ?

standard definitions learned over decades of study and practice, put in my own words...

"integral methodology of", plz what does that mean, I think I read somewhere that TPM is basic for Lean?

integral methodology means that it is a fundamental method of Lean.

I thought that TQM was just fill with cheap overall management clich?? So more focus on a management, but have no real specific (statistical) tools?

I can understand how you might think that....many proponents of Six sigma and Lean tried to push their services by denigrating TQM. It is true that the focus of TQM was on management - actually leadership. If we don't have leadership support our successes will be meager in comparison to what we could accomplish. This has been proven empirically over and over and over again. So the TQM movement was short on tools because the belief was that the tools were widely known and easily accessible. during the eighties there were plenty of solid Quality engineering seminars and books. A reading of Quality Progress and its predecessor Industrial Quality Control demonstrates this very well. back then articles were almost all focused on the technical application of statistically based tools. Most of these were resurrected by the Six Sigma movement...

Concerning Lean and BRP, I thought that lean was only a kaizen approach = "improvements", where BRP do radical fundamental change?

I do think of lean as related to only production, and I do think of Lean as the original narrow concept related to specific inventory approach (JIT) and/or a SCM concept that include the perspective of value for end customers. Though I think today everything that have a touch of optimization busines people call Lean.

I would advise that you have not really understood what Lean (or Toyota Production System) is truly all about. It is so much more than what you currently understand. I suggest reading "the Toyota Way" by Jeffrey Liker as a start. I daresay you will be amazed at the difference between your current understanding and what Lean/TPS really is.

Bev D

Heretical Statistician
Leader
Super Moderator

welcome to the cove:bigwave:

these are very deep and wide topics that are also somewhat divergent from each other so it would be helpful if you clarify your request for more info.

Top Bottom