How do I create a Technical File for a Class IIa Medical Device

S

sim.s

i started to work for a company that manufactures a Class IIa device. Their existing product (produced before 2006) does not have an existing technical file, but does have a design file.
We are in the process of adding an expanded line to the design file...what do I need to do to create a technical file out of it...or do I need to create a Technical file?
we do sell this product internationally and have a CE NB for it.

Q

QualitySage

A class IIa device does require technical file approval for CE marking. The requirements are in the Medical Device Directive 93/42/EEC with 2007/47/EC amendment. The bulk of your techical file will probably be in addressing the Essential Requirements (usually provided as a table with corresponding harmonized standard and your document/test report). You should ask your notified body for their requirements. I don't know who you use, but the notified body, NSAI, has a requirements document on their web site. You can find it at NSAIinc.com, under medical devices, CE marking, "Documentation Requirements".

Ronen E

Problem Solver
i started to work for a company that manufactures a Class IIa device. Their existing product (produced before 2006) does not have an existing technical file, but does have a design file.
We are in the process of adding an expanded line to the design file...what do I need to do to create a technical file out of it...or do I need to create a Technical file?
we do sell this product internationally and have a CE NB for it.

Hi and welcome to the cove :bigwave:

As a very general outline, the technical file should include (or reference other documents, such as the design file, that contain) the following:

1. Essential Requirements Checklist
2. Risk Analysis
3. Product Design Drawings and Specifications
4. Chemical, physical and/or biological test reports, as applicable
5. Clinical Evaluation
6. Package Qualification and Shelf life, as applicable
7. Labels
- Instructions for use
- patient information
- advertising materials
8. Manufacturing processes flow chart, including inspection steps
9. Declaration of Conformity (Draft)

For more detailed guidance refer to the “Recommendation NB-MED/2.5.1/Rec5” document (Co-ordination of Notified Bodies on Council Directive 93/42/EEC).

S

SteveK

As well as the very good advice given, when putting together your TF refer to Annex II 3.2 (c,d,e) of the MDD for the structure of a ‘Product Dossier’ section of the TF – this may be similar to your existing design file; it is where you show compliance to the appropriate harmonized standard (if you are using Annex II as your path to conformity that is). This is the approach I have used for class IIa devices – as well as including the other sections as indicated. Don’t forget a section on Usability (to EN 62366 or ISO 60601-1-6). I have also included a reference to the appropriate product group (UMNDS and/or GMDN) as well as sections on ‘Work Instructions’ and ‘Maintenance & Service Schedules’.:2cents:

Kim B

Starting to get Involved
Are technical files required for chemical agents? I'm not aware of a requirement just want to confirm.
Thanks!

Top Bottom