Excel .xls SPC Control chart - Corrective action notes

C

cs168

Hi,
Currently I am plotting the control chart manualy, thinking of changing the platting into excel format which I found quite a nos of good chart posted here. My question is how can I record my correction action if there is out of control limit in the chart? All help & advise are welcome.tks

J

JRKH

Comment Function

One way would be to use the comment function.
Right click on a cell and select comment form the drop down menu. Then enter your comment.

James

Last edited by a moderator:

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Leader
Admin
JRKH said:
One way would be to use the comment function.
Right click on a cell and select comment form the drom down menu. Then enter your comment.

James
This is a good suggestion. I have seen it used and I llike it.

C

cs168

Tks for the fast response, The problem is I am using autoupdate on the excel chart with web query, the chart will refresh every 5 min, whenever there is new data update into database, the chart will show only the last 25 data in chart. So by adding the comment in the cell will not work for me, I do display the control chart in excel format, user have no access to click on chart. Anothers issue is without filling in the corrective action on out of control limit point, user will not allow to continue production or update the chart. Hope this make it more clear on what I am looking for. tks a lot.

Tim Folkerts

Trusted Information Resource
It sounds like you what to comment directly in the chart so that others can see - is this correct? Are you looking for a way to have Excel automatically flag out-ot-control points? Or perhaps to annotate the graph with a little message like "settings adjusted here because process was drifting toward upper control limit". Or do you just want a record of the corrective action within the spreadsheet that you as QE can edit and see?

I think any of these could be done, but it would be helpful to know just what you want and how you want it displayed.

Tim F

C

cs168

Tim Folkerts said:
It sounds like you what to comment directly in the chart so that others can see - is this correct? Are you looking for a way to have Excel automatically flag out-ot-control points? Or perhaps to annotate the graph with a little message like "settings adjusted here because process was drifting toward upper control limit". Or do you just want a record of the corrective action within the spreadsheet that you as QE can edit and see?

I think any of these could be done, but it would be helpful to know just what you want and how you want it displayed.

Tim F
Hi Tim,
Yes when there is a point out of limit the message will only come out when the engineer have fill in the corrective action spreadsheet. The problem is my point will keep on changing, for example point 25 out of limit, I do fill up the corrective action (No idea yet on how to do this), data 26 come in data 25 become point 24 & so on it will kick off from the chart. When an auditor look at the current chart there is no out of limit but the corrective action having an record of out of limit, is it ok? I am not sure and have no idea on how to monitor and record on the out of control limit. Any sample or recommendation are welcome.tks

A

adamsjm

Control charts can be updated automatically by using moving ranges in the data section of your spreadsheet. You can write truth tables in adjacent columns (or rows) to identify “out-of-control” points (such as 2 out of 3 consecutive points outside the 2 sigma, 2σ – not 2s, limits. These can then combined to identify any point “out-of-control”. Place the non-conformance comment in the same row (or columns). You can then use Rob Bovey’s XY Chart Labeler to add the comments to the graph and have them move with your moving range data.

Ref. John Walkenbach web site for moving range charts, Rob Bovey’s Application Professionals web site for the XY Chart Labeler, and Jon Peltier’s Peltier Technical Services web site for other charting techniques.

Joe Adams

A

Atul Khandekar

... Ref. John Walkenbach web site for moving range charts, Rob Bovey’s Application Professionals web site for the XY Chart Labeler, and Jon Peltier’s Peltier Technical Services web site for other charting techniques.
Joe Adams
Thanks Joe.
Would these be:

John Walkenbach web site for moving range charts: Excel VBA Programming for Dummies

Rob Bovey’s Application Professionals web site for the XY Chart Labeler:
XY Chart Labeler is a free utility.

Jon Peltier’s Peltier Technical Services web site for other charting techniques

Top Bottom