Why the majority prefer to call each passage of ISO 9001 a ?clause??

P

Polly Pure Bread

Why the majority prefer to call each passage of ISO 9001 a ‘clause’?

Why majority do prefers to call each passage of ISO 9001 a ‘clause’ despite that the term never mentioned in the standard itself? Why not section, article, phrase, paragraph, etc.? They call it ‘element’ in the old version of ISO standards.

I know that this is a stupid question, I’m just curious.

C

Craig H.

Re: Why majority do prefers to call each passage of ISO 9001 a ‘clause’?

Why majority do prefers to call each passage of ISO 9001 a ‘clause’ despite that the term never mentioned in the standard itself? Why not section, article, phrase, paragraph, etc.? They call it ‘element’ in the old version of ISO standards.

Hi! This is a wild guess, but I think it comes from the use of the word "clause" to describe a section or statement in a contract. I am sure that the use of the word is not world wide, and any of the other terms you use would certainly work.

We have a phrase here in the U.S.: "When in Rome, do as the Romans do", and it applies to this. In your group of colleagues, use what they use.

Hope this helps.

R

ralphsulser

I think it is a bit of "legalese" injected by phrases used by lawyers. The U.S.A. is known as a nation of litigaters. :rolleyes:

I agree with Craig, use whatever your peers understand. I prefer "section" myself.

Randy

Super Moderator

Quite simple

clause–noun 1. Grammar. a syntactic construction containing a subject and predicate and forming part of a sentence or constituting a whole simple sentence.
2. a distinct article or provision in a contract, treaty, will, or other formal or legal written document.

Origin:
1175–1225; ME claus(e) (< AF) < ML clausa, back formation from L clausula

D

db

I think they also wanted to get away from the "elements" of the older version. They needed a new word, and it was around Christmas time, and they were thinking about santa, and well...... okay, maybe not that last part.

R

ralphsulser

I think they also wanted to get away from the "elements" of the older version. They needed a new word, and it was around Christmas time, and they were thinking about santa, and well...... okay, maybe not that last part.

Very good Dave :biglaugh:

J

Jeff Frost

Actually the use of the term “Clause” is mentioned in Clause 0.2, Process Approach and Clause 1.2, Application.

N

neelu

Any provision in a national or international standard is termed as a 'clause' according to a practice universally accepted by 'standard-makers' or 'code-makers'. Also if you go by the definition provided by Randy, the term really holds good ony if the standard is a pert of an agreement/contract with the supplier or customer . Of course, if conformance to the national or international standard has been made mandatory through orders of Government or statutory bodies, the term "clause", I guess, automatically applies.

R

RJFisher

:lmao::cool:

R

Rinascimento

Me too :lmao: :cool:

This isn't an explanation, but if you look at the basic ISO templates pack from the ISO site then a clause is just one of a large number of elements in a standard, of which the following is a subset:

Annex
Bibliography
Clause
Definition
Displayed mathematical and chemical formulae
Example
Figure
Figure footnote
Footnote
Foreword
Index
Introduction