Combining documentation (elements/processes) TS16949, ISO14001 & OHSAS18001

W

Wayne G.

Our company is registered to 3 standards: TS16949, ISO14001 & OHSAS18001. We have an internal audit cycle covering all elements/process anually (required). Document Control, Internal Audits have the same requirement in all standards. Do I need to have a separate documented procedure for each standard? Or would 1 suffice for the elements/processes that have identical requirements? How would the the external auditors view this? The duplication seems non-value added.

Thanks

M

Mustang

Re: Combining documentation (elements/processes)

I would double-check with your Registrar, but in our case, we were able to combine the similar procedures with great success. I also created a spreadsheet cross-referencing our procedures to the applicable clauses in the standards (in our case TS & 14001). It helped the external auditor understand how the system worked. Our Master Process Map also encompasses documentation for both standards (some items could not be combined, yet). We still have separate external auditors for each Standard, as our TS auditor (who was already working with us) was not qualified for ISO14001. They have indicated to us that in the future, we will be assigned an auditor that is certified in both, so the audits can be combined.

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Leader
Admin

Do I need to have a separate documented procedure for each standard? Or would 1 suffice for the elements/processes that have identical requirements?
A single procedure would suffice as long as it addresses the relevant requirements of the 3 standards.
How would the the external auditors view this?
Progressive thinking auditors would commend you for the initiative. Obtuse auditors would probably feel uncomfortable and might get confused about the scope of their audits just because your procedure extends beyond the management system standard that they are auditing against.
The duplication seems non-value added.
It is.
PS Google PAS 99 and consider purchasing it.

V

Valeri

Wayne,

We put all similar TS and ISO requirements together and have had no issues with our 3rd party auditors.:D

SteelMaiden

Super Moderator
Trusted Information Resource
we use the same procedures for all like requirements (doc control, audit, etc.) We have no problem with our registrar, our Q-Auditor loves it and feels that it is an excellent thing, our E-Auditor seems to be a little "behind the times" and accepts it, but doesn't seem all that excited. Don't get me wrong, she can find no nonconformance...she just seems to me to be about 5 years behind the times in terms of computerization or making decisions based on value added (or at the very least, least unvalue added) proactices. But as I said, the registrar's opinion is that this is the way to go forward.

W

Wayne G.

Thanks. It seens so straight forward to me, but auditors are individuals too.

W

Wayne G.

That's what I thought. I'm sure I have consensus on this. In the spirit of the standard, I would consider this a CI initiative.

Thanks

Randy

Super Moderator
PAS 99 has identified the elements common between the more frequently used management systems. You can insert 16949 into the 9001 column. In all honesty these things are common anyway.

Attachments

• Common Elements.ppt
    29 KB · Views: 500
F

fireonce

Imo,combining ISO14001 and OHSAS18001 is ok.
I think ts16949 should be implemented individually.

Randy

Super Moderator
Imo,combining ISO14001 and OHSAS18001 is ok.
I think ts16949 should be implemented individually.

Name some good reasons why.

Doc control is doc control, records mgmt is records mgmt, training and competence is training and competence and so forth. Why have redundencies?

Top Bottom