Implementing One Piece Flow

Y

YKT

Anyone with experiences in implementing One-Piece-Flow in Garment industry ?

Appreciate if you can share...

thanks

D

D.Scott

Re: Implementing One Piece Flow in the Garment Industry

thanks

Looks like you aren't getting much input on your request. Would input from members having experience in other industries help with your project? Does it need to be specific to the garment industry? We could change the title for you to get input from all industries on OPF.

Dave

Y

YKT

Re: Implementing One Piece Flow in the Garment Industry

Thanks, D.Scott....

Yeah, if anyone would like to contribute on the one-piece-flow, you can do so...not necessary from garment

Thanks

CarolX

Trusted Information Resource

thanks

Hi YKT -

I have modified the title to your thread.

I am not familiar with the concept of One-Piece-Flow. Could you or someone else elaborate?

W

wmarhel

One-piece flow (also referred to as single-piece flow) production is when parts are made one at a time and passed on to the next process. This is in contrast to the more traditional approach of building batches (completing all work at an operation before passing it on the next downstream process).

Benefits to utilizing and working towards single-piece flow are:

1) Quicker detection of defects which then prevents a large build-up of defective materials.

2) Reduced material and/or inventory costs. There will be less WIP (work-in-progress) and as a by-product, raw materials will not be consumed as quickly and will be available for other operations.

3) The work cell and/or processing area can be smaller and much more flexible due to the having less WIP.

4) Shorter lead-times to the customer.

I hope that helps........

Wayne

harry

Trusted Information Resource
Agreed with Wayne. To benefit from the advantages mentioned, many industries including the garment industry use small batches or what is termed ‘transfer batch’ because single piece is just not practical and feasible.

The disadvantage is that you create many, many more batches in an industry characterized by big order size and sometimes employing thousands of workers. Controlling and tracking work-in-progress becomes a nightmare.

Thanks to RFID (radio frequency identification devices) technology, all these problems are now solved. As the batches are processed and/or approved, the information is feed into the RFID chips and when these batches passed through electronic ‘checkpoints’ for the next process, the information are captured into the control unit thus providing accurate and real time information on progress (tracking).

P

peacewong

Agree with Wayne. One piece is not only one product. It means one unit. You can make 100 pcs as one piece, also can make 50 pcs as one piece. In conclusion, make it to be the lowest quantity as one piece.

S

sspoldir

This brings up an interesting point... I wonder how long it is going to take for companies like wally world to realize shorter lead times and smaller orders are the way to go. How in the world they place orders for clothing almost a year in advance and haven't gotten screwed until recently is amazing.

IMO: From the 30,000 feet view if your having to use RFID to track WIP the business has some out of control processes.

The disadvantage is that you create many, many more batches in an industry characterized by big order size and sometimes employing thousands of workers. Controlling and tracking work-in-progress becomes a nightmare.

Z

Zuggy

Hi YKT -

I have modified the title to your thread.

I am not familiar with the concept of One-Piece-Flow. Could you or someone else elaborate?

The one piece flow system is based on the principle of a pull system or production smoothing. I have looked at it in two ways. 1) A pull system of Kanban requirements (see Kanban). 2) Is a production smoothing process of standardization of inputs, throughputs, and outputs. This process works well with a standard product that has generally a steady sales flow. In our case we would use one specific size of material that can make all the parts for the final product (to minimize waste). Establish how many you can make each day, week, month etc. This number will be based off what your selling levels are at. The final assembly department will request more parts to be completed for the fulfillment of the order and each other department will fulfill that order.

Tim

R

RaymondC

thanks

Well, I am now running an OPF in a section of shirt. It's quite easy as almost all the processes are standardized and the layout is not difficult to plan. However, before that, production should already have 5S + Safety, Standardization, multi-skilled workers. If you plan to implement OPF, that means you are going to raise the productivity. Imagine if someone always go to somewhere for finding cotton or running out away to somewhere you don't know, it would put your line into a high risk cave and you will never escape from that.

Top Bottom