Outsourcing manufacturing of final product

S

Searchiso

Hello,

If the manufacturing of the final product is outsourced, the contract manufacturer will issue the Certificate of Conformance for the final product. Will both companies' name be on the certificate?

Thanks.

M

MIREGMGR

Why would a contract manufacturer be the issuer of any regulatory document? They're not regulatorily responsible for the product...you are.

The exception to this might be if your contract with them makes them your agent, with legally delegated authority to issue documents as you.

somashekar

Leader
Admin
Hello,

If the manufacturing of the final product is outsourced, the contract manufacturer will issue the Certificate of Conformance for the final product. Will both companies' name be on the certificate?

Thanks.
NO.
Whether the contract manufacturer issues the buying company a C of C or not is between them. For the product going out to the customer the buying company makes the C of C.

S

Searchiso

The contract mfg will be dropshipping to our customers and the customers are aware of this CM.

In this case who should issue the C of C?

T

tomvehoski

How could you issue a CoC for a product you never inspected, saw, touched, etc? You need to come to an agreement with your contract manufacturer on how the certificate will be handled. You may choose to authorize them to issue a CoC on your letterhead, or send their own CoC, or send your own personnel to verify the shipment, or some combination thereof. ISO has no requirements about a CoC - that is up to you, your customer, and your supplier.

somashekar

Leader
Admin
The contract mfg will be dropshipping to our customers and the customers are aware of this CM.

In this case who should issue the C of C?
That is a great news ...
So to whom does the customer place orders, you or directly to the contract manufacturer ?
If there is an issue with the product, to whom will customer make the first contact, you or directly to the contract manufacturer ?
And if the goods are good, to whom will the payments be made, you or directly to the contract manufacturer ?
If it is all YOU then based on your controls exercised on the contract manufacturer, you have to release the C of C (provided the customer needs this as a part of the supply agreement)
The method of making and authorizing and issuing the C of C (your C of C) can be mutually agreed between you and contract manufacturer.

U

Umang Vidyarthi

Hello,

Thanks.

Well that is out of the question. The contractor will issue the 'certificate of conformance' to you, nothing more nothing less. In turn, you have to check the specs, and then issue your cert. to your customer.

Umang :D

T

tomvehoski

Well that is out of the question. The contractor will issue the 'certificate of conformance' to you, nothing more nothing less. In turn, you have to check the specs, and then issue your cert. to your customer.

So you are willing to sign your name certifying that a product meets specifications, based only on a piece of paper from another person you may not have ever even met? I wouldn't. I probably would not accept such as cert as a customer either.

I provide CoCs for material (metals, rubber, plating) all the time, but I simply forward a copy of the cert provided by my supplier. In the case of steel, that cert usually came from the mill, where I am buying from a distributor. My customer is four steps away from the steel making process, but still has a direct link to that first level. I periodically send samples to an independent lab to ensure the certs I am getting are accurate, but I would never put my name on a cert where I did not have direct knowledge and control over the process used to make it and the testing that took place.

U

Umang Vidyarthi

So you are willing to sign your name certifying that a product meets specifications, based only on a piece of paper from another person you may not have ever even met? I wouldn't. I probably would not accept such as cert as a customer either.

I provide CoCs for material (metals, rubber, plating) all the time, but I simply forward a copy of the cert provided by my supplier. In the case of steel, that cert usually came from the mill, where I am buying from a distributor. My customer is four steps away from the steel making process, but still has a direct link to that first level. I periodically send samples to an independent lab to ensure the certs I am getting are accurate, but I would never put my name on a cert where I did not have direct knowledge and control over the process used to make it and the testing that took place.

:mg:? What gave you the wrong notion that I am 'willing to sign a cert. based on a piece of paper supplied by the contractor?'. Please go through my post again, I have magnified it for better vision and clarity.:cool:

:caution: Do not go through a post with preconcieved notions, nor answer in the same mode. Our purpoe here is to help each other, pick on each others brains, but not to pick on each other.

Last edited by a moderator:
T

tomvehoski

I apologize if I misread your post, but back in post #4 the OP clearly states that their contractor is drop-shipping to the customer. The OP never takes physical possession of anything to be able to verify it. I read "check the specs" as compare to a drawing or other document, not to check the part. The OP has no way to verify product from the description of the process.

Top Bottom