How to self teach myself ISO9001:2000

S

sjrutland

Hello my name is Stan. I have been handed the task of transition from QS9000 to ISO 9001:2000. I was a test engineer in the computer industries for 29 years with supervisor experience. I have now came on board with a metal fabucation company. I have very little knowledge of ISO. I have just been given the quality department to run ( one inspector and myself). I now have the task to get us ready to transition over to ISO9001:2000. Please any advise or reference to material that I can use for this transition is greatly appreciated. I thank you all. Just a note I have been a member for about 6 months and have gotten several of my other questions that have come up on quality, answered here from just reading other threads.

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Leader
Admin
sjrutland said:
Hello my name is Stan. I have been handed the task of transition from QS9000 to ISO 9001:2000. I was a test engineer in the computer industries for 29 years with supervisor experience. I have now came on board with a metal fabucation company. I have very little knowledge of ISO. I have just been given the quality department to run ( one inspector and myself). I now have the task to get us ready to transition over to ISO9001:2000. Please any advise or reference to material that I can use for this transition is greatly appreciated. I thank you all. Just a note I have been a member for about 6 months and have gotten several of my other questions that have come up on quality, answered here from just reading other threads.

Hi Stan, welcome! :bigwave:

I have found an article for you. http://www.qualitydigest.com/mar01/html/iso9000-2000.html

I am not sure how much quality program experience you have, so I hope this makes sense!

Let me know if there is anything else you need.

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Leader
Admin
The article I sent the link for really only touches the surface of ISO.

I forgot to mention a book that I found useful: "ISO 9000: The Year 2000 and Beyond" by Perry Johnson.

That book, as well as a host of others, is likely available in your area Barnes and Noble, Borders Books or the equivalent. Or, you can get good, detailed books of that nature from Amazon.com in just a few days.

Hershal

Metrologist-Auditor
Trusted Information Resource
The best advice that I will give is get a copy of the standard, read it yourself......read nothing into it, just at face value.....then start investigating whether you match it.

9K2K is fairly interpretive so there is a lot of room to work with it.

D

D.Scott

Stan - Welcome to the Cove.

If your company is QS-9000 now, the QMS is based on ISO and there are reletively few changes from the old to the new. The changes are more in approach and presentation than in quality concepts and requirements. One thing you have to keep in mind is that having QS, your company is obviously heavy into automotive and assuming you want to keep the business you will have to be compliant to TS-16949. I understand you don't want to be registered to it but you still have to be compliant. I say this because you should keep this in mind when re-writing the documentation for your ISO certification. If you get the TS-16949 document, it covers the ISO 9001:2000 requirements as well as what you will need for the auto industry.

Good luck on your project.

Dave

S

sjrutland

I would like to thank everyone

Now that I have some very good reference material to get me started, I
would like to say thank you for all the help. If I run accross anything I am
unsure of I will be back with more questions. Again I would like to thank
everyone for all the help

Stan :applause:

T

Tanahy

Stan
welcome to the cove!! yeah you will find great help here... my advice for you, any free time you have, just cruise in the cove and read threads and the great member's opinions , there is MUCH to learn from just reading our friends' here opinions.... i suggest you read the standards... AND THEN ... look at the canned quality manuals in the files directory and documentation matrix... and DONT FORGET the failure mode.. and let us know how is every thing with you ... ah .. no need to have a question to post ... u may even post in the coffee break forum :)
good luck stan
Tanahy

Q

qualitygoddess - 2010

ISO Self-learning

Stan:

If the place you work for has less than 75 people, you may also find useful a reference that I use myself. I am not in any way connected with this book. It's been useful for me in transition work. ISO 9001:2000 for Small and Medium-sized Businesses. Soft cover. Forget the author's name, but you can find it with a search at your favorite on-line quality bookstore.

I also agree with another post that you should buy the standard and read it. It's easier to read than the previous version. Really pay attention to the stuff about all work being a process. This is a key item. You should also find 136 "shall" statements. These are the requirements of the ISO standard. Hi-lite them.

Another person also posted about a site called internalauditor.com. I browsed there recently, and there are some good articles provided by the site author.

Finally, get to know your registrar! Many registration firms provide transition checklists, and all of them will do pre-assessment audits, which can be extremely valuable to get the auditor's read on what your system has vs. the standard.

Good luck. Keep posting!

--Jodi

Cari Spears

Super Moderator
Leader
Super Moderator
Hershal said:
The best advice that I will give is get a copy of the standard, read it yourself......read nothing into it, just at face value.....then start investigating whether you match it.

9K2K is fairly interpretive so there is a lot of room to work with it.

*Heavy Sigh* - I remember it well: yanked from my CMM and my nice, big, organized, clean, bright inspection room and tossed into a cubby in the dark, messy CAD room to get us registered. "It says right here 'Quality Management System', that means it's qc's job." :rolleyes: Well, I had the least seniority of the three of us in the inspection department so I was the chosen one. :rolleyes:

I wonder how they're doing now... :lmao:

Anyway, it turns out that this stuff very much suits my "jack of all trades - master of none" personality; and I stuck with it, even if not with that company.

Back to the point... I spoke with reps from different registrars and some consultants, and I soon became aware of the various canned versions of the necessary document packages, etc. When this stuff looked nothing like what I had been rough-drafting - I thought "my stuff is better!". Yes - I am an ego maniac.

I ended up doing exactly as Hershal advised. The most important point being: "don't read into it - face value only."

Top Bottom