The Late Great Steve Goodman

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
Added: This thread was moved from: http://elsmar.com/Forums/showthread.php?t=31690
This reminds me of a Chris Rock routine a few years back. He was on tour, and asked the group if anyone has Spice Girls CD's. No one raises their hands. Chris Rock says "Funny thing.. I'm on a world tour, and everywhere I go, no one raises their hands!" Yet, they sell 3 million copies!! Someone is buying them!:lol:

Everyone I talk to makes fun of the infomercials. But... someone is buying these things!:lmao:

From the late, great Steve Goodman:

Last edited by a moderator:

BradM

Leader
Admin
Re: Steve Goodman

Jim, I had never heard of this guy before. Extremely talented. That was some pretty nice timing in that jingle, not to mention some decent guitar playing.

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin

Jim, I had never heard of this guy before. Extremely talented. That was some pretty nice timing in that jingle, not to mention some decent guitar playing.

:topic:Goodman's popularity as a performer didn't extend much beyond Chicago, but he had a good deal of success as a songwriter. He ran into Arlo Guthrie in a Chicago bar one night and asked him if he could play a song for him. Guthrie agreed, on the condition that Goodman buy him a beer first, and that he would listen only as long as the beer lasted. Guthrie got his beer, and he also got "City of New Orleans," which became the best-known song for both of them.

Goodman was diagnosed with leukemia in 1969, and spent his entire performing and recording career battling the disease. He succumbed to it in 1984 at the age of 36.

C

Craig H.

:topic:Goodman's popularity as a performer didn't extend much beyond Chicago, but he had a good deal of success as a songwriter. He ran into Arlo Guthrie in a Chicago bar one night and asked him if he could play a song for him. Guthrie agreed, on the condition that Goodman buy him a beer first, and that he would listen only as long as the beer lasted. Guthrie got his beer, and he also got "City of New Orleans," which became the best-known song for both of them.

Goodman was diagnosed with leukemia in 1969, and spent his entire performing and recording career battling the disease. He succumbed to it in 1984 at the age of 36.

Is this the same Steve Goodman that wrote "You don't have to call me Darlin'", AKA the perfect country and western song, recorded by David Allen Coe?

C

Craig H.

Is this the same Steve Goodman that wrote "You don't have to call me Darlin'", AKA the perfect country and western song, recorded by David Allen Coe?

According to WIkipedia, they are indeed one and the same. I had never made the "City of New Orleans" connection, though. Interesting. Wiki says he wrote the Coe song with (John?) "Prine", but "Prine" refused any songwriting credit.

I'll have to see if Amazon has any cds...

"And I went to pick her up in the rain...."

Doug Tropf

Quite Involved in Discussions

According to WIkipedia, they are indeed one and the same. I had never made the "City of New Orleans" connection, though. Interesting. Wiki says he wrote the Coe song with (John?) "Prine", but "Prine" refused any songwriting credit.

I'll have to see if Amazon has any cds...

"And I went to pick her up in the rain...."

As I recall, Coe's version of the song indicates that he (Coe) sat down and wrote another verse, realizing that he did not quite have the perfect country and western song.

"And I'll hang around along as you will let me...."

R

Randy Stewart

I believe it is on the Prime Prine album (well CD now).
First song I ever heard of by Prine was
There's a hole in Daddys arm where all the money goes.
Jesus died for nothing, I suppose.
Little pitchers have big ears, don't stop and count the years.

The line I like the best is " and sweet songs never last too long on broken radios". You gotta love it!

R

Randy Stewart

Re: Sham Wow!

And I went to pick her up in the rain...."
But before I could pick her up in my pick up truck,
She got run over by the dang ole train.

BradM

Leader
Admin
Now... fellow Covers... just in time for the New Year..

We have the "Perfect" country song!:D

Top Bottom