TS16949 vs. TPS (Toyota Production System) - Explaining the differences

1frenchie

Imagine a new factory where the sister facilities have been in operation for over 20years each and all have their ISO certification.
The new facility is to launch with TS16949 certification and with TPS.

Management having come from previous facilities is not familiar with either practice but believes that the Quality Management system versus Business System are in conflict with each other.

I have a nice hole in the wall of my office where my head has banged against it while trying to explain the different approaches, strengths, and complimentary requirements of both systems. All without success.

I am turning to this group to see if anyone has some additional ideas, ppt's, or article's that i can reference for my next round of discussions.

Thank you in advance,

Caster

An Early Cover
Trusted Information Resource
Re: TS16949 vs. TPS

..Management having come from previous facilities is not familiar with either practice but believes that the Quality Management system versus Business System are in conflict with each other.

Ouch, I feel your pain!

The level of quality is a direct result of the business system practices that are in place, nothing else.

If "business" is already seen to be in "conflict with quality" in your new plant, quality will be the loser for sure.

It is all over but the crying.

Last edited by a moderator:

AndyN

Moved On

Imagine a new factory where the sister facilities have been in operation for over 20years each and all have their ISO certification.

Management having come from previous facilities is not familiar with either practice but believes that the Quality Management system versus Business System are in conflict with each other.

I have a nice hole in the wall of my office where my head has banged against it while trying to explain the different approaches, strengths, and complimentary requirements of both systems. All without success.

I am turning to this group to see if anyone has some additional ideas, ppt's, or article's that i can reference for my next round of discussions.

Thank you in advance,

What you need is a talented consultant who'd give up some time to come and be able to put both systems into context........just like I used to do!

Seriously, since they won't believe you, I'd suggest getting a person from outside to come and weave these two systems together in a Q & A session. Shouldn't be too difficult to find here.....they may even do it for lunch!

1frenchie

Funny you mention a consultant, we had one come in last week for a generic review of TS for our management team and a detailed course for the process owners.

He walked away after three days shaking his head and wishing me luck.
:nopity:
Did i mention that our plant manager was from EU so we also have the mindset and cultural issues to deal with.

AndyN

Moved On

Funny you mention a consultant, we had one come in last week for a generic review of TS for our management team and a detailed course for the process owners.

He walked away after three days shaking his head and wishing me luck.
:nopity:
Did i mention that our plant manager was from EU so we also have the mindset and cultural issues to deal with.

Now, I did say a 'talented' consultant..........:lol:

EU = which country? Or did you mean "Ewwww"!

1frenchie

Ahh you got me on the Talented part, his magic show did lack a little bit of pizzaz.:lmao:
EU = Europe (specifically Netherlands/Belgium area)

AndyN

Moved On

Ahh you got me on the Talented part, his magic show did lack a little bit of pizzaz.:lmao:
EU = Europe (specifically Netherlands/Belgium area)

Aha, then you need the talents of our friend Jan - Stijloor - Roovers - he speaks the language (we have a couple of others here too from those great countries) and will know how to persuade them......

Stijloor

Leader
Super Moderator

Aha, then you need the talents of our friend Jan - Stijloor - Roovers - he speaks the language (we have a couple of others here too from those great countries) and will know how to persuade them......

Thank you Andy!

Kees (Kales Veggie) de Wit may also be available to make the trek to the West and "convince" (in our mother tongue) this manager.....;)

Stijloor.

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin

Thank you in advance,

This is the Toyota Production System, wherein the originator, Toyota, has never seen a need to associate itself with TS16949. On the other hand we have the American automotive industry which has hitched its wagon to the 16949 "star" and is now in the process of self-destruction. Oil and water, if you ask me.

AndyN

Moved On
This is the Toyota Production System, wherein the originator, Toyota, has never seen a need to associate itself with TS16949. On the other hand we have the American automotive industry which has hitched its wagon to the 16949 "star" and is now in the process of self-destruction. Oil and water, if you ask me.

C'mon Jim! You know that's not true!

The Big 3 didn't hitch themselves to the TS standard, as I have posted before (did you ever think to question why your local engine plant was 'only' ISO 9002?). Indeed, they didn't even have ISO 9001 at HQ!

You can't seriously be blaming the situation they are in on a qms! Are you wearing an aluminium foil hat too?

Top Bottom