Preventive and Corrective Maintenance - Looking for a basic procedure

Randy

Super Moderator
I've bit off so much I am now starting to choke......

Does anyone have a generic (or one that can be changed) preventive maintenance procedure for production support equipment like banding machines, pallet jacks, material dollies, floor fans, and all that kind of stuff?

What I'm looking for is a basic procedure outlining how communication of maintenance needs can be handled, any supporting forms and so on, and the actual maintenance process itself.

I've stepped into a situation where there is no defined way to address how to tell the appropriate party that something is broke that has to be fixed.

Douglas E. Purdy

Quite Involved in Discussions
A General Flow

Randy said:

Does anyone have a generic (or one that can be changed) preventive maintenance procedure for production support equipment like banding machines, pallet jacks, material dollies, floor fans, and all that kind of stuff?

What I'm looking for is a basic procedure outlining how communication of maintenance needs can be handled, any supporting forms and so on, and the actual maintenance process itself.

I've stepped into a situation where there is no defined way to address how to tell the appropriate party that something is broke that has to be fixed.

Randy,

Here are two general flows for a process that did not have a Computerized Work Order & Scheduling System. If you want examples of forms, let me know. Hope this helps.

Doug

Attachments

• A Maintenance Flow pg1.vsd
    113.5 KB · Views: 2,277
  • Infrastructure PM pg1.vsd
    98 KB · Views: 907

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit
Randy said:

Take a look at the kinds of things that Google finds when you enter:
"pallet jack" +maintenance
"fork truck" +safety

Also look at manufacturer websites to see what they offer in the way of handouts, procedures, checklists, etc.

Once you have some of these in hand, you might consider a top level safety procedure which says (even in flow chart form):
We want our operators to be safe when they operate any of the equipment in our plant. The best way to insure your safety is to know
  1. how to operate your equipment,
  2. how to check to ensure it is in proper condition for operation, and
  3. how to perform simple preventive maintenance procedures to keep it in safe running condition.
  4. what to do when the equipment needs repair
Then issue a checklist (laminated cover?) specific to the equipment that stays with each piece of equipment, similar to what pilots do prior to takeoff.

Randy

Super Moderator
Thanks so much...

What I ran across was a small piece of equipment that is used on a continual basis to help band material for shipment. The bander looks like a material dolly (2 wheels, a handle and all that), and 1 of the wheels was missing causing the employees to drag it from place to place. When I asked a supervisor why this thing hadn't been fixed (3-4 month old problem) I got the old "I told everyone so it's not my problem/responsibility" routine. Apparently there is no organized (formalized) process for requesting basic and performing maintenance/repair on infrastructure and support equipment (catch as catch can maintenance). No documents, no procedures, no records, NADA!

How to fix an item isn't the issue....how to get it fixed and to prove that we did so is.

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit
Randy said:
Thanks so much...

What I ran across was a small piece of equipment that is used on a continual basis to help band material for shipment. The bander looks like a material dolly (2 wheels, a handle and all that), and 1 of the wheels was missing causing the employees to drag it from place to place. When I asked a supervisor why this thing hadn't been fixed (3-4 month old problem) I got the old "I told everyone so it's not my problem/responsibility" routine. Apparently there is no organized (formalized) process for requesting basic and performing maintenance/repair on infrastructure and support equipment (catch as catch can maintenance). No documents, no procedures, no records, NADA!

How to fix an item isn't the issue....how to get it fixed and to prove that we did so is.
If the strapping (the preferred term over "banding") is steel - odds are the machine came from Signode or Uline - both companies have excellent PR for stuff like you need.

Google search would probably be (strapping + steel) or (strapping +plastic) using "strapping" will eliminate the hits for those steel bands that play island music.

Randy

Super Moderator
The strapping isn't a problem and the equipment isn't a problem, getting the stupid thing on 2 wheels is the issue....I found a dozen replacement wheels in less than 15 minutes at a Home Depot and another 6 or so at a nearby Ace Hardware....the issue is a guidance document that says "when junk breaks, here's what you must do to get it fixed"...

I was hoping someone had a down and dirty, basic procedure.

C

C Emmons

Randy said:
The strapping isn't a problem and the equipment isn't a problem, getting the stupid thing on 2 wheels is the issue....I found a dozen replacement wheels in less than 15 minutes at a Home Depot and another 6 or so at a nearby Ace Hardware....the issue is a guidance document that says "when junk breaks, here's what you must do to get it fixed"...

I dont know if this is the type of information you are looking for, but. If we have equipment needing repair, anyone has the ability to place an out of service tag, write it up (usually we use a standard vehicle inspection report for tractors, trailers, forklifts etc. Once the equipment is tagged out of service it is placed in a designated area and the report sent to mainteance. If we consistently end up with lots of equipment needing repair and it is impacting peoples ability to do their jobs, a formal corrective action is issued to managment.

J

Jonell

Maybe this would help?

Randy said:

Randy,

I don't know if this helps or not, but we use a maintenance work order to get something fixed when it breaks. I'm attaching a copy for you to gander at.

Jonell

Attachments

• QF 9.4 MAINTENANCE WORK ORDER.doc
    31.5 KB · Views: 1,289
S

sal881vw

Hi Randy,
I hope the attached form helps you in some way........as for the procedure I think it should not be to difficult to come up with if you get concensus from the parties involved.
Good luck

Attachments

• repair report cyx.doc
    29 KB · Views: 625
Top Bottom