Chi Square Help - One of my variables has three possible results

M

mobious_1

I'm taking a psych class, I havent yet taken a statistics class, and now I'm told to do a chi square.

I need to do a Chi Square analysis, but one of my variables has three possible results.

It has to do with whether people stop at stop signs or not, and for whether they stop we had to do "Yes, No, Roll" as in rolling stop. I also need to compare it with both Gender, and whether they were on the cell phone or not.

So I had C1 named Gender and used 1 or 2 to represent male or female respectively, C2 was Cell Phone and used 1 or 2 to represent Yes (them being on the phone) or No (not being on the phone) respectively, and then named C3 Stop and used 1, 2, or 3 to represent Yes, No, or Stop respectively.

It looks like this...well, I can't show you what it looks like. There is a very silly rule that keeps me from posting links or images.

Now...what do I do? Did I set this up properly? How do I proceed?

Last edited by a moderator:

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Leader
Admin
Re: Chi Square Help

Whose rule keeps you from posting links or images? What is it about the links or images that makes them unfit to post?

M

mobious_1

Whose rule keeps you from posting links or images? What is it about the links or images that makes them unfit to post?
While this is off topic, one must have 5 posts to post images or links, otherwise the forum stops you. I could just post 5 random things, but I don't spam, and I don't know enough about MiniTab to contribute.

Does anyone have information that can help me?

Stijloor

Leader
Super Moderator

<snip>There is a very silly rule that keeps me from posting links or images.

It is NOT a silly rule. It prevents one-time visitors posting crap. This Forum is heavily moderated and very well managed. That's why thousands of people from all over the world come here and participate.

I hope that you do come back and participate. You can send a Private Message to our host Mr. Marc Smith and ask him how to proceed in your particular case.

Hope this clarifies.

Stijloor, Forum Moderator.

M

mobious_1

It is NOT a silly rule. It prevents one-time visitors posting crap. This Forum is heavily moderated and very well managed. That's why thousands of people from all over the world come here and participate.

I hope that you do come back and participate. You can send a Private Message to our host Mr. Marc Smith and ask him how to proceed in your particular case.

Hope this clarifies.

Stijloor, Forum Moderator.
:topic:
I'm sorry, I hadn't intended to cause a problem by posting that, the posting of the image is not essential for helping me with my problem as I think I proved a satisfactory description of the problem.

Does anyone have relevant information that can help me use MiniTab?

Stijloor

Leader
Super Moderator

:topic:
I'm sorry, I hadn't intended to cause a problem by posting that, the posting of the image is not essential for helping me with my problem as I think I proved a satisfactory description of the problem.

Does anyone have relevant information that can help me use MiniTab?

No, no problem at all. I've already sent Mr. Marc Smith a Private Message to give him a "heads up." Keep in mind that it is weekend. Traffic is a little slow. You will get a response, I am sure.

Stijloor.

Steve Prevette

Deming Disciple
Leader
Super Moderator

Back to the stats question:

The chisquare may be used for variables with multiple responses (such as yes, no, rolling). However, it generally is used only for two dimensional problems - so you could compare result versus gender or result versus cell phone use.

Though you could possibly plot result versus Male with Cell Phone / Male without Cell Phone / Female with Cell Phone / Female without Cell Phone.

A chisquare analysis is pretty easy to set up in Excel if you know the formulae. Or several statistical softwares have the Chi Square tests. Wikipedia has several writeups - in this case you are testing for independence (cell phone and gender have no effect on stopping habits).

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader

There is a very silly rule that keeps me from posting links or images.
The 'Five Posts Minimum' rule here keeps this forum free of spam and potentially 'hazardous' files. Unfortunately it is necessary.

I'll PM you an email address to send the file (preferred) or link to and I will post it for you.

I apologise for the inconvenience.

BradM

Leader
Admin
Do you have to use a Chi Square test, and are you required to have three variables?

Steve hit on something pretty important, and that is the design of your experiment. Which variables will have a predicted (theorized) effect on the other?

You might take what Steve stated and break into mini-studies:

H1-Males are observed to drive on cell phones more than females
H2-Males are observed to stop less at red lights
H3-Males and females "roll" through intersections at the same rate.

Or something like that; there are hundreds of possibilities.

I would clarify the requirements of the experiment; don't forget to build a theoretical case for your relationship among the variables. Otherwise, you would just be running things to see what happens. :D

Top Bottom