The Difference between a Document and a Record

X

xiahmi

Document is information in any medium
Record is a document stating results achieved or providing evidence of activities performed.

i got this in one of the forums awhile ago..
one reacted that once the record came from the customer, it is considered as a document.

can anyone clarrify this statement?
..so record can be a document? or a record is a document..?
(gosh?) this iso things cracks my head :D

thanks in advance :D

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
Re: Difference of Documents and Records

Document is information in any medium

No, not any medium. The spoken word is a communication medium. If you add the word "archived" or "written," you'll have it.

Record is a document stating results achieved or providing evidence of activities performed.

That sounds like a good definition for ISO purposes.

i got this in one of the forums awhile ago..
one reacted that once the record came from the customer, it is considered as a document.

can anyone clarrify this statement?
Not me. :D It seems to me that once a record, always a record. Changing the location doesn't change the nature of the thing. Sounds like someone is trying to put too fine a point on the subject.

..so record can be a document? or a record is a document..?

All records are documents, but not all documents are records. A written procedure is a document, but not a record.
(gosh?) this iso things cracks my head :D
You need one of these:

foilfezfl9.jpg

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit
I like Jim Wynne's response.

I've made numerous posts discussing clarification between "record" and "document."

Over the years, many folks have asked a variation of your question. Here's just one from four years ago:
Clarifications on Lists, Logs and Registers
I think you are on the right track. I wrote in another thread
(LOGS - Record or Document? How to control logs?)
a record is just a special type of document. A blank form with no data is also a document. Once data is entered on the form, it may become a document (such as filling out a purchase request) or it can become a record (such as filling out a machine log.)

Some records have a very short life (one of the previous writers wrote of a log that was destroyed after the information was transferred to a different document.) Other documents can be permanent records (ever been on the receiving end of a teacher's threat "this will go on your permanent record!" ?)

The concept of using
Quote:
document control master list and assign them a number
is merely a filing technique. Modern computers have search and retrieval systems which makes such master lists obsolete and redundant. This is only a REQUIREMENT for certain regulatory bodies. It is really no more a "requirement" for complying with ISO Standards than determining whether to use tan file folders or orange (my personal favorite!)

X

xiahmi

Re: Difference of Documents and Records

ahhmmm, better ask that man, maybe you can have it for free.. :D

right Mr. Wayne? :D
maybe she badly needs that..

Randy

Super Moderator
Why not just use the prescribed definitions from ISO 9000:2005 instead of playing "He said-She said"?

document
information (3.7.1) and its supporting medium
EXAMPLE Record (3.7.6), specification (3.7.3), procedure document, drawing, report, standard.
NOTE 1 The medium can be paper, magnetic, electronic or optical computer disc, photograph or master sample, or a combination thereof.
NOTE 2 A set of documents, for example specifications and records, is frequently called “documentation”.
NOTE 3 Some requirements (3.1.2) (e.g. the requirement to be readable) relate to all types of documents, however there can be different requirements for specifications (e.g. the requirement to be revision controlled) and records (e.g. the requirement to be retrievable).

record
document (3.7.2) stating results achieved or providing evidence of activities performed
NOTE 1 Records can be used, for example, to document traceability (3.5.4) and to provide evidence of verification (3.8.4), preventive action (3.6.4) and corrective action (3.6.5).
NOTE 2 Generally records need not be under revision control.

Top Bottom