MBA - Masters of Business Administration - Any 'Real' Value?

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
I've heard a lot of different stories but never have looked at an MBA program myself. If you are an MBA, are in the process or are considering an MBA:

1. What classes did you take?
2. Was it worth it and if so why?
3. If you've 'been around the block', Did you learn things you had not already learned in the business world? If so, what?

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit
Marc said:
I've heard a lot of different stories but never have looked at an MBA program myself. If you are an MBA, are in the process or are considering an MBA:

1. What classes did you take?
2. Was it worth it and if so why?
3. If you've 'been around the block', Did you learn things you had not already learned in the business world? If so, what?
In my opinion, the actual academics of MBA programs are relatively alike at almost any school. There is a world of difference in what school your degree is from!

The difference is in the contacts and relationships you make with fellow classmates, professors, and alumni. There are multiple specialties within the MBA program ranging from not-for-profit administration through human resource management through accounting and lots of interesting places in between.

Regardless of what school you get your degree from, your job opportunities and potential income level will rise versus not having the degree.

A lot depends on the intelligence, business background, and intestinal fortitude you bring to the program. While you are in the program, you have to remain alert to all possibilities to make friends and connections which will help you
  • get a good position when you finish school
  • find new employees when you are in a position to hire
  • increase your pool of folks to whom you can "reach out" and who will, in turn, reach out to you.
Downside:
Just like all business schools are not the same, neither are all graduates. There is a poor joke often used about doctors:
"What do you call the guy who graduated with the lowest GPA from medical school?"
Answer: "Doctor"

The point being that you can't just hire an MBA and expect miracles anymore than you can hire a CQM or MBB and expect your QMS will miraculously transform itself into "six sigma perfection" the same day.

Randy

Super Moderator
:eek: Yeah....I finished with only a 3.85, I guess I slipped a bit.

Most of what I had to take was finance related with a smatthering of statisitics and research related coursework. Very little of what I took had to do with "management" per se. An MBA is essentially a finance degree, which I understand about as much of as I do Quantum Physics. :lol:

Something that really struck me was that in all the books I had to go through (about 4 - 5 feet high at least and 200 lbs or better) there was only one instance in one book related to business management that referenced ISO. That's it, one little portion of a sentence in an MBA program! Seems pretty sad to me.

As for value...looks really nice on a resume and it kinda makes you sound like a business stud of sorts, but the bottom line is you still gotta perform. I could fill up a whole line with my credentials and education diplomas...EMS-LA, CUSA, REA, B.S., MBA and so forth, but when the EPA comes knocking or I have to convince someone that I know what I'm talking about that alphabet behind my name doesn't mean too much.

I think that something like an MBA can, be used by a professional in the Quality field or the Environmental & Safety field (that I am now working in) to add validity to arguments and better position someone when dealing with senior level folks. It ultimately boils down to the person and what they can deliver.

What people with advanced degrees and those that demand them or don't acknowledge people without them need to remember is the TV commercial that has been on for a year or 2 about the clod who has an MBA, apparently reminds a supervisor of that, resulting in his having to be helped to perform a task that any competent administrative assistant with a HS diploma could breeze through. :lol: That's typical.....

Last edited:

Hershal

Metrologist-Auditor
Trusted Information Resource
Randy and Marc,

Seems like you have similar questions and experience to what I do, with respect to MBA. I received mine in 2000. I have a similar collection of books to Randy, although third of them are heavy math based. Stats, Econ, Accounting/Finance, etc., and the biggest single book is Business Law.

I have found it to be a tremedous advantage in that my analysis and presentation goes far beyond the technical and gets right to the checkbook. People listen to that.

I have just started a PhD program and will have to let you know how that goes as I proceed.

One other note......most businesses don't really care where the degree is from, so long as you have it.......unless it is an extremely high end school, or your boss went to your school. The real difference is in the quality of the instruction. All my professors were working professionals and leaders in their fields.

Hershal

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
I can see where business law would be appropriate. Randy says his mostly dealt with financial aspects - 'a financial degree'. Wes includes networking (making new friends).

Part of the reason I brought this up is I'm wondering where things like basic 'good' business systems practices are taught. It's one thing to be part of the business world and working in it over a number of years, but what about the younger folks who are coming in and jump from college to MBA to a job? Where do people with little 'practical', hands on experience learn about nonconformance and corrective action systems, for example?

I cite NC / CA systems as these are both basic systems and these are systems (especially corrective action / root cause) are often not well supported by 'those on top'.

Q

qualitygoddess - 2010

Msem

I took a different route when I went to grad school -- Masters in Engineering Management. It's like an MBA, but you get to take non-finance classes, too. The best ones I had were New Product Development, Project Management, Quality Management, Entrepreneurship, and Negotiations.

There are several schools in WI that offer this degree (MSOE, Marquette, UW Milwaukee). I'm sure other states do, also.

--Jodi

P.S. : I had a 3.99/4.00 GPA, and didn't even get "with honors". What's a girl to do??

Q

qualitygoddess - 2010

Marc said:
I can see where business law would be appropriate. Randy says his mostly dealt with financial aspects - 'a financial degree'. Wes includes networking (making new friends).

Part of the reason I brought this up is I'm wondering where things like basic 'good' business systems practices are taught. It's one thing to be part of the business world and working in it over a number of years, but what about the younger folks who are coming in and jump from college to MBA to a job? Where do people with little 'practical', hands on experience learn about nonconformance and corrective action systems, for example?

I cite NC / CA systems as these are both basic systems and these are systems (especially corrective action / root cause) are often not well supported by 'those on top'.

Just a little advertising here: the Univeristy of WI at Milwaukee makes all their undergrad business students take a course called "Quality and Productivity Improvement". We teach basic problem solving and quality systems stuff. I was impressed. Maybe that's why I agreed to teach there!

I did try to get one of those "on-line" universities from the SW USA to see the wisdom of this course for their school's curriculum. They said no thanks.

My experience has also been that the MS in Engineering Mgt (previous post) has a class on business systems.......and most of these programs also require 2-3 years of "real world" experience before they let you apply.

--Jodi

Randy

Super Moderator
qualitygoddess said:
I did try to get one of those "on-line" universities from the SW USA to see the wisdom of this course for their school's curriculum. They said no thanks.
--Jodi

That's because the sun in that state has fried their brains and the particular institution has grown so fast they are considered to be one of the "standard bearers" in the sector....ergo, if we don't do it, it don't need to be done.

Check out the University of Missouri, Rolla. ISO is a fact and way of life there and is part of the curriculi. (Duh, is that the right word?)

Al Rosen

Leader
Super Moderator
Randy said:
That's because the sun in that state has fried their brains and the particular institution has grown so fast they are considered to be one of the "standard bearers" in the sector....ergo, if we don't do it, it don't need to be done.

Check out the University of Missouri, Rolla. ISO is a fact and way of life there and is part of the curriculi. (Duh, is that the right word?)
Try curricula.:D

Top Bottom