Kickstart new Document Control Department - Construction company

N

NarayanMalladi

Hello everyone!
I have been asked to create a Document control Department from scratch for my company. We are a construction company. This is a new area for me. Quite challenging and exciting!!
I have read fairly extensively about this, my opinion is document control completes the triad of Quality Assurance dept. Well in our company we do not have a quality assurance manager ( good for me huh!! :)). We are just in the process of formalizing SOPS.
So i would like to hear about your experiences and ideas while i go about establishing this new department. Please feel free to send your opinions to me
narayan malladi

SteelMaiden

Super Moderator
Trusted Information Resource
Interesting question. I'd like to here more about how many people will be in this dept., what the responsibilities will be, etc. We do not have a document control dept. But, I will add that our document control is electronic, records are controlled by the departments that initiated them (except for electronic records which are controlled by IT).

harry

Trusted Information Resource
Construction projects are usually managed on project basis. Each project having a project number or name. In itself, it is already a form of control.

Construction drawings are issued with reference to project title and drawing numbers with the necessary revisions and date - this practice is several hundred years old (true for the UK and commonwealth countries). Contract documents are usually stamped or registered and in itself is another form of control.

So you are left with only the QMS documents to take care - refer to your control of documents & record procedures. The other area where control is necessary is the transmission from you to your sub-contractor and sub-sub-contractor and its use at the construction ste.

Otherwise, don't over control things and make the system a burden to the users.

Colin

Quite Involved in Discussions
Welcome to The Cove.

I agree with what Harry has said - I would also add that you could look at clause 4.2.3 of ISO 9001 for the fundamental requirements of a document control system. Oh, and don't get confused between what is a document and a record - they usually require different types of control.

Top Bottom