Which Internet Social Groups do you participate in?

Which Internet Social Groups do you participate in?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
Out of curiosity - Which Internet Social Groups do you participate in?

I don't really visit or participate in any other than from an SEO standpoint. I just got into understanding Twitter today and was thinking about social networks. I have noticed a lot of new members here are coming from Google+

PRIVACY NOTICE: The Poll is a **PUBLIC** poll, so before you vote, know that your user name here will show in the poll results.

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit
My "other" is, of course, the Cove, registered since 2003, lurking for years prior.

Facebook is really only family and non-business related friends and acquaintances. Some of my Cove friends have become my FB friends because I see them more as friends than business acquaintances.

I do belong to Google+, but I am still kind of mystified by it and have never consciously posted anything there.

I like to think I'm an independent thinker, so you will probably not see any political rants from me on FB, although I have been known to post corrections when folks repost false rumors and outright distortions, regardless of liberal or conservative slant.

I belong to and contribute to discussions in several groups in LinkedIn, but much of the relentless self-promotion of many LinkedIn posts just tires me out, especially those clowns who repost trite "factoids" just to keep their own name prominent. I much prefer to read commentary or opinion written in the first person rather than getting linked to some third party's vacuous ramblings.

The ones that really rile me, though, are the posts which are poor [uncredited] paraphrases of a Toastmaster basic manual which purport to expose great "secrets" of making an effective business presentation. There may be more plagiarism on an average page of LinkedIn than in a thousand Cove posts.

P

PaulJSmith

I probably use Facebook more than any other. It serves me in both a personal and professional (music) capacity.

I have a LinkedIn account which I rarely use. Don't care much for the formatting there.

As for "Other"...
I am also a member of a small handful of forums. Of those, I'm most active here on The Cove, and occasionally active on a few that serve other interests (music, shooting, martial arts, etc.).

I have no interest whatsoever in Twitter, or Snapchat, or any of the other attention deficit encouraging social thingies.

Michael_M

Trusted Information Resource
I do not participate in any social media. Not having facebook does come into play in my personal life since most information I want is posted to 'facebook' instead of having newsletters or {gasp} updated websites. At this point, I am just being stubborn and refusing to do facebook/twitter/social media :censor: because [insert excuse here].

I am still perfectly happy without (about 97% of the time).

Ninja

Looking for Reality
I rarely visit any "Social" internet groups. Mostly professional groups.

Here at the Cove, Filemaker Technet (dbase software forum), and that about covers it.

I keep LinkedIn for business contacts,
Facebook for when I'm too tired to do anything else (~ once a year or less) and for posting vacation pics ...just because it's easier than emailing them around.

I commented on a "new" photo a while back on a friends facebook page...to find out it had been there for ~3 years...that's about how often I visit FB.

When I think of face-book, I think of reading a novel 'til I fall asleep on it.

normzone

I periodically dip the tip of one finger in Facebook or LinkedIn - I consider LinkedIn an annoying necessity which I update every year or three, and I take a look at what my friends and family have posted to Facebook once a week or so.

I am here every day, as well as at the Halfbakery and the Moto Guzzi forum. But please, give me the real world or a book. No television required.

AndyN

Moved On
On the other hand...

For me Facebook is friends and family. No work, nothing serious (unless it's trying to stop the dolphin slaughter in Taiji, Japan) and that's all.

LinkedIn is horrible compared to the rational world of the Cove, but it's a necessity because too many goofball, self-proclaimed experts are out there with their wack-job opinions and need some sanity brought to their lives - so that's my job! LOL!

M

msec0990

Like Wes Bucey, I also consider Elsmar to be an internet social group, but my actual participation has admittedly been limited and recent. Anyone who looks at my profile won't find much; I'm probably overprotective of my personal info. I'd rather be overly cautious in that regard.

As far as any of the other groups listed, I really have no personal interest. Could LinkedIn genuinely help me? It's debatable and out of my personal comfort zone to be honest. As for Farcebook, I have no interest at all. Likewise on the others listed in the poll.

Could this change? Absolutely. But as of right now, I don't see it happening.

Mark

Bev D

Heretical Statistician
Leader
Super Moderator
yes Elsmar of course
I have a linked in site and accept connections and use it when recruiting but I don't participate it in it. the 'groups' are typically 'philosophical' rather than discussions of practical applications and real issues. they are also mostly over run by blow hards

I have been spending a little more time on the ASQ 'Ask a Professional" forum in case Elsmar goes away - but its traffic is paltry.

My wife has a facebook account but we don't post; I do find it convenient to keep up with pictures and major events of all of our various and sundry relatives - mostly the nieces and nephews and their babies...

ooops and I frequent one of the John Deere forums (looks just like this one) to keep up on our 2520 tractor. a real tractor, not a riding lawn mower :)

but I just don't have time for 'personal' social networks...

BradM

Leader
Admin
For me Facebook is friends and family. No work, nothing serious (unless it's trying to stop the dolphin slaughter in Taiji, Japan) and that's all.
And looks like there is slow progress being made. :agree1:

LinkedIn is horrible compared to the rational world of the Cove, but it's a necessity because too many goofball, self-proclaimed experts are out there with their wack-job opinions and need some sanity brought to their lives - so that's my job! LOL!

I'm beginning to see your point on this. ;)

I have started following a few metrology ones that so far has been pretty good.

Top Bottom